Hi everyone my name is Mihai and i am a senior 3d artist/character artist and want to share with you this project i have been working on since last year. The statue is inspired from a portrait of Vigo The Carpathian from the movie Ghostbusters 2. The project started out as a digital sculpt with some back and forth between Zbrush and Maya for matching the camera and the character with the portrait. I made a blog that goes into more of the technical approach of this project at the following link: https://www.artstation.com/icemanmodeler/blog
For this project i wanted make a real time game model that can be seen here and prepared the highpoly for 3d printing, added keys, made the meshes hollow, added drain holes and made sure everything was clean and ready for print. I wanted to go all out on this project so all of the meshes were sculpted in the millions of polygons including surface details like pores, leather patterns and so on, the meshes were then decimated and i wanted to see if the details would come through in the print.
In the video bellow u can see the meshes in Zbrush and with the help of boolean preview u can see how they look on the inside.
3D Render of the parts that will be used for 3d printing
After i calibrated the printer i started to print each piece and with lots of great help from peopoly and the comunity i was able to tweak and get some nice prints off my Moai.
I am using Asura with default settings, regular vat and regular build plate to get these results, only thing i tweaked was the Z-reset when i did the calibration test, i still need to calibrate it on the XY axis but most of the prints were in the center of the printer so there wasn’t much skewing happening.
On the first test prints that had some tolerance issues, supports welding problems that were fixed in the newer version of Asura and some smaller problems i used to test how it would look with grey primer and here is what i got:
Head test printed at 40 microns, 11 h print.
Ran out of resin and till more arrives decided to print the larger objects on my old FDM printer, this just finished printing early today at 100 microns rez, took almost 24h to complete, removed the supports and did a bit of wet PLA sanding, still need to finish it some more and add some grey primer.
Now i just primed all the final parts that i have for the character, i only need to print the pants and do some filling and sanding to get it looking nice and it will be done.
I think i will print the base and the rest of the large pieces on my FDM printer and if the quality will be enough then i will keep them. Next i need to print the second piece of the wall, the small Painting piece separated into 2 prints and finally the biggest piece so far, the base, due to how large it will be i’m going to have to separate it into lots of pieces, also have a cool idea planned that i will be adding as the cherry on top for this project, will reveal it soon.
Alright so thanks for reading and watching all of my prints, if you would like to keep up to date on this project and other projects i will be working on please check out my page, link will be bellow. Cheers