Vat cleaning and care

I’ll only be using my printer every few weeks, so I need to empty the resin between uses. I found a video on emptying the Form 1 vat and followed their suggestions, but paper towels seemed a bit rough on the coating on the bottom of the vat, and still semed to leave a thin residue of resin on it. I didn’t want to keep at it with increasingly dry paper towels for fear of damaging it. Is there a recommended procedure for emptying/cleaning vats, and are there any special considerations for how they should be stored?

I’m looking for info on this too, so far some of us got these wonderful things

one thing immediately learned is that layer is delicate you need to be gentle with it, so far none of us has experienced anything tragic with these Squeegee’s and man can you lop up resin with it and use the larger one like a resin scoop.

I’ll attach a picture, I managed to puncture the layer after having even better results with the metal scraper and some resin getting stuck in the vat one thing lead to another.

And I was hella clumsy

Must Have Tools

I’m also trying to find the answer to this. Formlab’s documentation says not to use IPA, cloth, or paper towels. I’m assuming this is because it damages the surface and would be a similar concern with the Moai, but I have found no documentation for what you can use.

some people just recommend microfiber towels which you can find on amazon or dollar stores. Pretty cheap.

Mark Peng answered me at some point that it was ok to use IPA to clean the vat.

I just did that, as I will be on vacation for a month.
Had drained the resin out at an angle (in my vat case), then it took around 10 paper towels to get the vat nice & clean.
I hope there will be no damage from the IPA, reading the above.

Acrylic are not all made the same. The vat uses a type of acrylic that is optically clear and can withstand ipa/alcohol. The panel cover uses a different type of acrylic that will have tiny fractures on the surface if you wipe it with IPA/Ethanol

Some prints and cleaning the VAT No problem with IPA, but will take to account what Mark said.

I would like to make the test prints at the weekend but I have not received the IPA yet, it arrives next week. What can I use to wash the vat alternatively? Can I leave the dirty vat for a few days while waiting for the IPA? Can I put the unused resin in its bottle?

Moai resin is designed for laser use. It is not that UV sensitive and there is not that much UV indoor to easily activate the reaction. Just cover it and you will be fine for a few days. cover and leave it inside Moai with the door closed will last a long time.

How long can resin sit in tank?

That’s great to hear!

When a print finishes, I take the bed off, and take the print off, then put the bed back over the vat so it can drip into it. I don’t want to then put a lid on the vat since the bed still has liquid resin holding onto it. Is the best way to store to wipe down the bed fully every time? Would it be better to make a cover that I could put the bed in the vat and then cover? (I’ve put the bed in the vat before, the bed is very hard to pull off the vat when fully compressed on it)

I would squeegee the resin off into the resin bottle (use a funnel) after each print to avoid messy drips.

What panel cover are you referring to?

Here are some vat cleaning instructions I thought would be helpful.

This is the text from the pdf file from

For FormLabs Printers

• Gently scrape as much resin out of VAT as possible (don’t rush)
• Spray IPA on VAT to moist the remaining resin and scrape out IPA+resin mixture. After 2-3 times PDMS should be
clean of resin
• Moist clean paper towel with IPA and clean off the 4 walls and corners
• Be gentle to where the PDMS meets the 4 walls (this is the weak link)
• It is fine that VAT walls are not squeaky clean, it does not impact print
• Air out IPA before use

IPA is NOT PDMS friendly – repeat cleaning and soaking causes swelling
Dedicate a VAT to a resin to avoid repeat cleaning
Substandard (un-pure) acrylic gets damaged by IPA easily
Reject VAT when signs of aging is detected