Thin protective plastic on FEP vat acrylic

Greetings,

I recently bought the FEP vat and have been using it unsuccessfully with the default original MOAI build plate. After many failed attempts, the FEP finally broke, and upon taking the vat apart I noticed in the acrylic protective underlayer a thin sheet covering this acrylic, presumably something that could be peeled off and replaced, if any resin seeped through?

Since I tried printing the same cube several times, the area between the acrylic and thin clear sheet has small bubbles. Before I can begin again (printing pillars, levelling, etc) Is there an ideal material to replace this bubbled plastic protective layer with?

Thanks

Charlie

if you buy a whole FEP vat, it would come as pre-assembled and there will be no protective film, the film that you see may actually be the FEP film-part of the vat. Air bubbles would be the film is loose
how exactly did the vat break?

My pre-assembled FEP vat came with the protective acrylic film on one side and this caused print failures of the initial ring test. The film should have been removed during assembly of the vat. Remove it, polish or remove any resin off of the acrylic if needed, and reassemble your vat with a new sheet of FEP film.

Greetings Patrick,

I figured as much - if the FEP tears though this would mean that the acrylic underneath is also prone to wear, perhaps there is an optically clear adhesive which would make the acrylic part something which does not have to be replaced in this instance? Not sure if this is a thing other MOAI users do to avoid having to replace the acrylic or have to meticulously clean it to keep it as an optically clear path.

Thanks

Charlie

the acrylic is not prone to wear but it can be damaged
the only thing that needs replacement is the FEP layer, that can last only for about a hundred hours before is starts to wear down
cleaning would be necessary but it doesn’t have to be regularly, the Moai is sealed quite tightly so if you print regularly dust would not be on there much to affect the print