Software for Designing 3D Models

Hello,

I wanted to know what software is good to create 3D designs. It is my understanding that Asura 3D is used to prepare designs for resin printing (creating supports, drain holes, etc.) and Cura 3D is used to slice the design for printing, but neither are used to create a design from the ground up. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

That is correct. 3D modeling programs like Blender, 3DS Max, Solidworks, Inventor, Fusion 360, Maya, Zbrush, and many others are needed to create an original 3D model. There are different programs that are tailored to different methodologies.

Thank you for your reply. What design software do you recommend?

Your design software choice kind of depends on your design goals, technical proficiency and budget.
Mechanical parts are well suited to a CAD application like fusion360, solid works, etc.
Organic models/characters are well suited to applications like z-brush.
Maya/3DS MAX can do some of each but are expensive and can be hard to learn.
Blender is free and versatile but has IMO weird interface.

Thanks for all the information. I need to make very basic designs such as a cube. I may want to experiment more but for now something that rudimentary is fine. What would you recommend for a beginner who needs to make very basic designs? I am sure a cube file is probably available somewhere for me to download and I could modify its supports on Asura 3D.

I’d look at a free option that leans toward where you would like to head eventually. CAD modeling concepts are a bit different than polygonal modeling.
Fusion 360 is ok for CAD intro and can be had for free with a hobbyist license from auto desk.
Blender is also free.
In any case a basic cube, sphere or primitive shape is easily made in pretty much any 3D design tool

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I will look into Blender and Fusion 360. Thanks again and take care.