PLEASE NOTE… as of right now this mod only works with the easy to level build plate! Sorry for any inconvenience, but I may look at a workaround in the future.
I have had my Moai for almost a year now and have always told myself that the Moai (as good as it is) COULD be better… A LOT better! I rely on the Moai for jewelry so there really needs to be a strong degree of accuracy preferably without little lines, warps, etc etc. Now I know some people have pretty good machines that are calibrated just right and have no mechanical issues, but I believe the Moai (along with most resin printers) have one design flaw…having only one z-axis rail for support!
If you look at the Moai and just barely touch the build plate you notice it can wobble without using much force. I know many will say that it really does not matter and that it really does not move during printing OR the popular… did you tighten all the bolts!!
I personally believe that even the smallest bend in the z-axis screw, or rail can deform a print or cause wobble. Some of don’t even notice it because you are printing small non-geometric shapes. Heck, sometimes I don’t even notice it…that is… until I am doing cleanup on my casted jewelry and I notice bumps/waves in the metal.
With all that said I wanted to share a project I have been working on that I have named Project Tripod!!
It’s just one photo that shows the whole prototype, but I will take more detailed pictures soon. It’s pretty much in testing phase but with a few 3D printed parts I have made along with some others from Thingiverse and a few cheap parts I designed a dual gantry system that pairs with the existing z-axis. It uses an t-slot extrusion that attaches to the neck of the build plate and virtually eliminates all wobble, jiggles, etc from the z-axis to the build plate!
Early testing is VERY promising as I have not had one failed print (even with multiple settings) and eliminated 95% of lines and NO MORE WAVES in the prints at all. The other 5% of lines are super small and almost unnoticable (especially after post processing).
These were all printed at 100um and the stress plate was printed at 40um.
Now I know this is not for everyone but it would be interesting to know how many would be interested in doing something like this or having directions/kit. I don’t want to put a lot of effort if there is not a lot of interest. It’s not super difficult but there needs to be some precision and patience (especially when making it level). You also need access to an fdm printer with PETG/ABS filament (or I can send the parts and charge enough for the shipping, time and materials).
I also understand that this can be a design that evolves over time with other people’s input.
Link to Thingiverse page: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3435013
Okay, that was long winded… Like I said, I will update with more detailed as the project evolves but in the meantime I look forward to everyone’s input.