Prints too thick

using a novel SLA resin that is meant to be elastic, I am getting prints, and I have layer height turned down but I am getting thicker prints than I am supposed to, not much but we are trying to model anatomical structures so accuracy matters, model was 1.5 mm thick and it printed 1.86mm thick, anyone know possibly why. Layer height was set to .02mm, returning it to .06 mm on the next print because .02 mm is just too slow, I thought it may be a product of too high laser power but was unsure. Thanks for any help.

0 Likes

Hard to tell exactly what would be causing that at this point. Out of curiosity, when was the last time you ran the calibration posts, and what were their heights?

0 Likes

What were your results on the 60um? I would agree it sounds like a function of laser power for that specific resin.

Does the resin have pigment? Are you using Asura to slice? My suggestion would be to:

1. Review the steps for finding exposure time needed for an unknown resin: https://peopoly.dozuki.com/Guide/Moai+-+How+to+find+resin+exposure+time/4
  2. Review the settings for PM motor speed and and Z follows: http://wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai:moai#settings

I recommend those settings because the Moai anticipates a small amount of elasticity in the standard PDMS print vat. If your print job is also elastic, it’s likely warping your layer heights in unexpected ways.

0 Likes

if the resin is elastic, it might be that the model is pressed and cured during each layer
please upload pictures of the print and your settings to verify the problem easier
please also fill in the form :
Room temperature (best to be >25C):

What type of resin:

Build plate type: (Standard 1-piece / easy to level)

Vat: (Silicon vat / FEP vat)

What type Vat: (Peopoly Original vat, Recoated Peopoly vat, custom vat made by user)

Leveling measurement:

A, B, C, D (example 10.9mm)

Firmware version:

System Setting is default per Peopoly recommendation? (Yes/No)

Laser Power:

Z-reset position:

PM Motor Speed:

Z Follow Speed:

Software used to slice?

If using Asura,what version and profiles

If using Cura, what version and Profiles:

Infill %:

0 Likes