Print missing layers. Part of print stuck on vat

I just switched to the new easy leveler and the new print vat and I’ve been having an issue where there is a layer of the print stuck to the vat. Also one of my pieces has some layers missing resin and I’m not sure what could cause that either. Pictures below show the settings, prints next to the extra layer, the print missing layers, and the resin I used. Anybody have any idea what’s up?

Extra Piece 1

Extra Piece 2

Missing Layers

Resin

Printer

EDIT

I tried printing again without changing the settings and most of the print came out better and nothing was stuck to the Vat; however, the missing layer problem still occurred and there’s a strange pattern going diagonally across the piece.

Print

I’d need to see how you printed it, can you post a screenshot of the object on Cura/Asura?

Sorry to hear your issue, here is a survey we use to help us get as much info as we can from user so that we could provide best solution. Even if you might have provide some info already, please answer the question for the completeness.
support question:

Room temperature (best to be >25C):

What type of resin:

Build plate type: (Standard 1-piece / easy to level)

Vat: (Silicon vat / FEP vat)

What type Vat: (Peopoly Original vat, Recoated Peopoly vat, custom vat made by user)

Leveling measurement:

A, B, C, D (example 10.9mm)

Firmware version:

System Setting is default per Peopoly recommendation? (Yes/No)

Laser Power:

Z-reset position:

PM Motor Speed:

Z Follow Speed:

Software used to slice?

If using Asura,what version and profiles

If using Cura, what version and Profiles:

Infill %:

Room temperature (best to be 25C): 25C. Heater installed

What type of resin: Peopoly Moai Resin - Grey

Build plate type: easy to level

Vat: FEP Vat

What type Vat: Peopoly Original vat

Leveling measurement:

A 11.02
B 10.96
C 10.99
D 10.95

Firmware version: SLA-125 V1.18

System Setting is default per Peopoly recommendation? Yes

Laser Power: 58

Z-reset position: 1816

PM Motor Speed: 15

Z Follow Speed: 10

Software used to slice? Meshmixer, Cura

If using Cura, what version and Profiles: 3.2.8 Moai Edition. Maximum quality Profile (0.025nm)

Infill %: 70%

Cura model Side

Cura model Top

Any update on what could be wrong? Another thing I noticed is when a layer finishes and the vat starts to dip you can see and hear the vat break away from the build plate where the resin is connecting the build plate and the vat.

The sound is from the suction force during peeling - this is unavoidable. Regarding the temp you should print at higher temperature - the resin temp should be at least 25-28c. Please remember that the resin temp is lower than the ambient temp in the build chamber so I suggest you keep the build chamber temp around 30c. If you need a heater to achieve this Peopoly has one for sale in their store.

Please also upgrade to firmware 1.18 (slower peel action so better for print but takes longer). Also check that the vat is not mowing at all (must be firmly held in place). If it wiggles in any direction it will affect your print. Also tighten the build plate bolt very snugg.

I actually just installed the heater a week ago, but I’ll try updating the firmware next.

Tried printing again and there was still print stuck to the vat and the print was missing layers

try to have supports underneath the model, printing directly is more likely to cause failed prints, orientation is about 45 degree, best to use Asura for generating supports

I used Asura to generate supports and it still seems to have failed.

Full Printer

Build Plate 1

Build Plate 2

Your level heights doesn’t seem low enough. They want to be around 10.7/10.8mm. Yours are a little too high.

Judging from the raft it created, the laser also seems to be printing outside the recommended area (overhang over edges of build platform). This probably means your laser isn’t centred.

Finally I don’t think you put enough supports on there, you seem to just have a line a long the bottom, you would want them all over the back of it to support it so it is supported all the way up. If you can show a screenshot of your supports in Cura it might be easier to diagnose that though.

I would recommend checking out the Asura 2.2 post, setting firmware settings back to default and try levelling and calibrating again. I see you have the easy level build platform too, I remember I had level heights around that level but only because the vat was too low. I needed to set my z level slightly less to compensate and now is levelled perfectly. If the z level is too high the platform pushes too much into it and doesn’t do its job properly. Maybe try 1810.

1.use the circle base instead, the full base create too much peeling force.
2.recenter the model, your print went out side the build plate.
3.if your print is too large, you can cut the model to parts, SLA prints can easily be attached together, just apply a little resins on the surface and cure the whole model together

hi there,

A few tips for getting successful print

1. You did not mention temperature of the printing environment. This is quite critical. Make it over 25C and everything gets easier.

2. Leveling should be closer to 10.7-10.8.

3. Since you are using FEP vat,
    us FEP vat settings and printing practice here:

http://wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai:fep

1. make sure you run through the Moai Checkup guide and make sure everything is secured correctly
    http://wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai-checkup

@peopolysupport

I matched my settings to the FEP Vat guide and generated supports using asura. The print mostly worked, but the layers around where the supports are all uneven though. It should be completely flat What would cause this?

Two thoughts: 1) not enough supports causing the print to move and 2) out of plain curing of resin due to the clear resin and too high laser settings/too slow glavo movement. I am leaning toward option 2 because of the rounded appearance of the extra material, but option 1 still appeals.

What are the settings I’d need to adjust? Which direction would I want to adjust them?

I would start with laser power. Check the resin parameter guide for Peopoly clear resin. You will likely have to adjust the power down. As I understand it, clear resin is difficult to use, so experimentation may be in order.

for clear, laser 57 would work enough. how big was the tip setting for support. You could try 1.2 in Asura for the support tip (under parameters)

The resin is the official peopoly gray resin. The laser power is set to 58. I updated the supports to be 1.2. The print still has the same issue though :disappointed: