Print issues FEP Vat

Hi,

Having an issue with a print. The grip in the front has a slight wobble when its should be a straight side. From what I can tell the grip at the rear doesn’t have the issue. There also seems to be a to of layer lines and almost a fracture in the front grip near the top (nearest the VAT).

Details below, sliced with Cura 3.6 at 100microns using the Moai settings. FEP VAT with easy level build plate and Peopoly Clear Resin. Any ideas?

0 Likes

Suction issues - is the model raised 5mm from the build plate on supports and does it have draining holes or an opening at the top (closest to the build plate)?

0 Likes

Hi,

Yep, its about 8mm off the build plate on supports and the actual grip is hollow. Picture below in Cura.

BR

KS

0 Likes

I would print those the same way. Is your vat very securly held in place (I mean impossible to move up/down or sideways). Some Peopoly vats can be a bit wobbly and if so I put tape on the slides of the vat. This way it is held securly in place. Another thing you should check is if the z-axis assembly is tightly in place.

I have also layer lines throughout my tall prints and I’m going to build a Tripod system for my printer. I will post pre and post pics of tall prints.

0 Likes

Yeah, I’ve added extra tape to VAT to hold it in place. I did check the z-axis, but I think I will go through it all again just to make sure. Strange its only on the 1 grip and not both.

Sounds like a good idea!

Cheers

KS

0 Likes

layer lines problems are not new, usually the problem is due to the heater or the z-axis, if your z-axis doesn’t have any issues, you can check the temperature of the chamber during print, do you have a heater installed?

0 Likes

Yep, heater installed and print chamber is around 32ºC. Will double check the z-axis today. Just done a print at 60mircons and they seem to be much less layer lines.

KS

0 Likes

come on peopoly we know the clearance between the holes and the adjustment threads are the reason for this. heat moves things pretty far but you can move the vat a lot in the holder and the holder in the pealing frame. the only reason it doesn’t happen too much is it finds its happy place but a big enough suck can move that clearance to a new happy place. i use to get layer shift every print so i counter sunk the holes where you level the the vat and printed accurate tapered washers that are tight on the thread so now no matter what the vat always returns to home, it should have been part of the machine. also i added springs to the pivot point of the peel frame to take any slack up in the bearings but i don’t think it would help as much as locating the adjustable frame to the peal frame.

3 Likes

Printed some tests and it only seems to get the wobble on the one grip and it always the same grip. Doesn’t seem to matter what the orientation is either I still get the issue. Not always in the same place, so its not the gcode. I have also checked the model in Cura to make sure it looks ok. So not sure what’s going on here.

BR

KS

0 Likes