Poll: Would you buy Moai again or recommend to friend

I don’t see a way to do a poll so I’m hacking my own. There are two messages: one is yes and one is no. Please like whichever one reflects your opinion so everyone can see how satisfied or dissatisfied you are with the performance of your machine and the level of support.

0 Likes

YES, I WOULD by a Moai again and would recommend to a friend

12 Likes

NO, I would NOT buy a Moai again or recommend to a friend.

4 Likes

it depends what you need to do, what are the expectations and your budget. The moai fills a niche market between LCD sla and the Form 2. As such it is a great machine at a great price.

2 Likes

I understand your thinking. That is all part of someone’s decision process when they consider their purchase though. My point in asking this as a simple question is to highlight the frustration level of the users to @peopoly.

Reading all of the problems posted here and watching the anger build as days or weeks go by with no solutions other than promises of future software fixes I don’t believe the customer satisfaction is very good. There are many declarations of giving up and selling the machine so I really don’t believe the 3 -3 current score.

Much of what has actually been improved seems to have come largely from a few users while @peopoly hires a new support person so he can work on another project. Others could help if key details were not treated like National secrets. There is no real innovation here anyway, just design choices.

I feel like the Moai is very close to being what @matt3o describes if the company would just focus and resolve the outstanding issues in an organized way. I presume the work on new machines is an attempt to generate cashflow. Selling more of the existing product through glowing recommendations would also do that. More bad press about the bad experience people are having will kill future sales of all machines.

1 Like

This belies your central misunderstanding of the development of the Moai from Kickstarter to current state. The development has always been from Peopoly responding to requests as the user base has transitioned from hobbyists to more commercial users. The problem is that the Moai is the first generation machine, which, if Peopoly survives, will likely follow the arc of the Form1 in its development. As for the “real innovation” (which you are apparently too removed from the KickStarter to recognize), was the use of g-code and, therefore, open-sourced slicers to drive an affordable galvanometer-based machine for the hobbyist market. (That is their so-called “National Treasure” and why they won’t open-source their firmware.). However, Peopoly has been a victim of its own success as hobbyists (the original market) have been replaced by commercial users, seeking a machine that is shop-ready, which the Moai isn’t. Further, some users have asked for things that cannot be implemented (corrective laser lensing) or create new issues rather than be drop-in solutions (FEP vat). And, finally, I am not sure Peopoly was fully aware of the supply chain issues that were going to arise as the volume demand increased.

Either way, this survey is unhelpful. I am pretty sure that most Moai owners are largely satisfied with their machines and recognize its limitations. And are largely silent. If you have a dud machine, then that is unfortunate and Peopoly, if they are dropping the ball on customer service or if their partners (such as Matterhackers) aren’t living up to their support requirements, then they need to fix the problem. However, if the problem isn’t in the hardware (i.e. it is broken), then ask the question: “what is really the problem?”. Sometimes, it is just unrealistic expectations.

2 Likes

Had I purchased my machine as part of a kickstarter campaign I would agree with you. However, the Moai was sold and advertised as being “in production” which is not the same. The level of problems people are suffering are likely complicated by the kit sales resulting in opaque differences in machine states.

If things are in such a good place, why is every third post about intolerable problems with vats being damaged, prints failing, dissatisfaction with resin performance, inconsistent advice about settings, ambiguity about whether hardware or software is to blame, and on and on.

I’m sorry if you think the survey is unhelpful, but I strongly disagree.

0 Likes

When my machine works its bloody great!
I have struggled with certain designs and models to print well. Ive concluded that a lot of this stems from me not understanding the methodology for printing with a liquid and trying to work the machine with the same principles as an FDM printer- something which simply doesnt work.
Sadly the tech is still an expensive way to make mistakes - ie the introduction of the FEP vat doesnt seem like the best move they made while the machine is in its infancy- but again I havent had the luxury of time to even put the FEP vat into the machine to see what I make of it.
I do think some people have had some ‘bad builds’- either by user error ( not everyone is clever with a screwdriver) or poor QC during manufacturing.
My machine seems OK so far- I am on a new power board however, which thankfully was replaced very quickly.
There does come a time where issues cant be hidden away by it being ‘in development’ - being able to print an accurate, basic square shape quite large ( esp given the build volume specified) should be something any user can manage farily quickly into ownership- sadly, thais simple test still seems a way off.
Im happy- but Im not expecting a lot. I just hope any future improvements come in software rather than expensive hardware upgrades.

1 Like

And this goes to expectations: One of the primary limitations of single-beam SLA is angular distortion as the beam moves further from center. Peopoly has attempted to address this with a barrel distortion correction in firmware. However, this is an unavoidable hardware limitation.

First off, “in production” has nothing to do with the fact that this is a hobbyist machine and is advertised as such. It is primarily a kit. I think you may be confusing “in production” with “suitable for production applications.”. Which it may be, but with caveats, particularly for those whom want to run the machine at its limits.

And that is what we call “confirmation bias” or “question begging”. However, the answer is far simpler: users with issues with their machines are probably more likely to post more often on these fora. Why? Because they are 1) looking for assistance, and/or 2) they are venting.

However, again, this does not take away from the fact that there is room for improvement in the hardware and software. If you wanted a mature product, then ForrmLabs was your better choice, but that comes at a higher price.

And, for full disclosure, I don’t recommend the Moai to everyone. If they are not technically inclined, willing to experiment, experienced with 3D printing, or if they want an out-of-the-box solution, then this machine is not for them.

4 Likes

Not arguing as such, but I’m pretty sure this distortion issue is not talked about at Point Of Sale, or at any time during marketing, so damn right it goes to expectations- expecting the machine to print a square square is 100% a basic expectation of a machine costing 4 figures.

I dont think its advertised as a ‘hobbyist’ printer, in fact the very front page of their site claims ‘Professional printing without the high price’, a kit it is a way to save money, but the tech is still across the board wether plug n play or kit form

Anyway, as you do say, conversations like this arent much help, so Im going back to lurking and teaching myself the ins and outs of this.

0 Likes

hi guys,

Sorry that we did not getting to this thread sooner. On the topic of distortion, the next Asura version (we like to have it out before end of the month) will have both distortion adjustment and slicing gcode. The distortion adjustment is done already but needs the gcode feature working so it can be properly used. We are working on this every day and with Asura we hope to create a smoother user experience while address some of the Moai limitations. The distorion adjustment is not a perfect fix as some distortions is related to individual build difference. It is a first step toward to this problem and we will add more advanced adjustment as we progress. @teivion

We are experiencing lots of growing pain as a team with more users than before and our support resources are pushed to the limit. We have a new member @peopolysupport who is learning on the job so giving him a helping hand if you see his replies is not as good as it could be. Some support questions fell through the crack during the transition, and we are getting our responses out quicker. We are also updating all Wikis and searchable FAQ to make it easier for users to find answers. Any feedback is very much welcomed.

5 Likes

Im debating on buying one…first machine ever.

Should I get my feet wet with something else like Creality3D CR-10 S5.

Should I not invest in this type?
Im not threatened by putting it together or some of the more common things people complain about.

0 Likes

I bought this as my first 3D printer and I have been enjoying it since. I also bought a CR10 S5 after the Moai and that has also been a great experience. I think everyone can handle an SLA printer as a first printer if they take time to learn the printing process. I use the Form Wash machine for post cleaning and that helped a lot with the ”resin print post cleaning mess”.

Good luck!

0 Likes

When deciding bewteen SLA and FDM, please don’t take into account the ease-of-use argument that people make toward FDM, SLA is just as easy to deal with and FDM hobbyists are just intimidated by it.

What should be the deciding factor is what you want to do and what kind of quality you want (visually and technically). Surface state of FDM parts is horrible, and post-treatment for that issue is unreliable, this reason and the fact that FDM parts are highly anisotropic (mechanical strength is wildly different if you apply a force on the part parallel or perpendicular to the layers) are the two main reasons I want an SLA printer more than an FDM one.

2 Likes