Phenom Orange Glass Became Cracked

Hello,

We are seeing an issue with Peopoly printer which we received on 2020 Jan 31.

The issue is that the orange glass/plastic is covered with small tiny fractures. The coverage is very even throughout the whole glass - does not look like there location of impact. It was not like this when it arrived in our location and was not like that when we left it printing over the weekend.

Is it reacting to resin fumes in any way? I can’t think of any other explanation.

Resin used:
• 1 x Peopoly Phenom Deft Resin - White
Print:
• Test print provided with quick setup guide.
• The print was started Friday and left over the weekend.
• The print was successful besides minor defect
Conditions
• Room temperature
The printer was left over the weekend to finish the print and then sit. There was resin in the tank - so there was not UV light continuously shining at glass.

We have used deft resin in our factory with never having a reaction like this, nor with a few other printers we know from our customers who have had high usage. The chances of a chemical reaction causing these fractures is very unlikely.

I would not be able to say how your screen cracked like that as off the top of my head I would say it would be from a physical reaction. What is the environment that the printer is located and what are the temps?

Thank you for prompt response, this is an indoor workshop that is kept at room temperature. Even if heating went out, we had a warm weekend here in Chicago so it would not have gotten below freezing.

Any other ideas? Can you think of any way this would impact performance of the printer?

That type of cracking is probably an over torqued bolt and the flexing of the door being opened and closed. The cracks array out from the bolt that holds it in. The Plexiglas is also very dirty so it may be hiding another reason I can not see.

For the processing of acrylic glass only scraping tools that work may be used. Acrylic glass drills should therefore have a tip angle of 60° to 90° and a rake angle of 0° to 4°. In addition, cooling must be carried out continuously during drilling.

If too much heat is generated during the processing of PMMA, the molecular chains and thus the material properties change. Heat builds up dangerous tensions in the material. If you do not counteract by tempering the plastic, there is a risk of cracks.

In addition, with acrylic glass screw connections should ALWAYS be attached with rubber washers. If this is not done, tension cracks develop, as you can see very well at @vaidoras.

In my view, this is a clear processing error and therefore a warranty case.

By the way, solvents such as ethanol or IPA can also lead to stress cracks if the PMMA has not been relaxed by tempering. Lasering PMMA (high heat input into the material) is a risky processing method.

@DragonXtreme : the glass is actually clean, all that noise you see are actual cracks. In fact most of them are not directional from the screw like the ones I showed.

There are no rubber washers here. What you see in the photo is a metallic washer on top of another black metal washer. Why is that?

Based on your input I think that the problem is overtight screws on the unit that was shipped to me. Even though they were not there at first they appeared when unit got a little bit of use. Mainly because the door on the instrument is flimsy.
That is, If I open it, grab it by the top corner and shake it lightly ( actually lightly, I would expect bigger force in normal use) it wiggles like a peace of sheet metal that it is. That in combination with overtight screws is what caused the cracks.

If I loosen the screws just a little bit, will it help? Or do I need rubber washers?

@peopolysupport3: My question now is weather you agree that this is a warranty case. In which case, could I receive a Plexiglas part to replace this with? And do I need to add rubber washers to solve the issue.

Thank you!

Hello, and sorry for the delay, I was going over this case yesterday to see what might have been the issue, but I still kept coming to the conclusion that there was some sort of outside force or element that affected this.

If it was the bolts, then it would have spider webbed with the cracks and would have happen during the shipping of the printer since, more than likely, would have been bounced around a bit with transportation.

I do not see this as a warranty claim BUT I will have Mark take a look at this and have him reply to get his thoughts on this in case I can be wrong in this.

Is the orange acrylic extruded or cast? Extruded acrylic can craze like this more easily than cast acrylic - according to google cleaning with windex or isopropyl is also bad for extruded acrylic.

Can you also let us know if this was purchased directly or through a reseller?

We bought it from matter hackers.

Not trying to pass the buck here, but it might also benefit you in this case (not 100% sure) but for warranty / replacement issues, you would go through the place you purchased the printer from. I would contact matter hackers via email and if you do via email. you can CC support@peopoly.net as well.

I saw this happen on my Moai 130 acrylic when i used IPA to clean drip off the door. Afterwards I only use soapy water.