We have had a Phenom L for a number of months and I have attempted at least 25 prints. We have experienced tons of failures. My previous experience was with the Elegoo Mars pro and we almost never had any failures. I expected this machine to be more challenging but it takes me a full week of attempts to get anything to print well enough that I can fix the remaining flaws by hand. We use this machine for rapid prototyping for our business but with a 90% failure rate the prototyping isnt exactly “rapid”.
- Growing holes - holes in the prints which grow with each z step.
- Layer shift lines - Z axis lines in the prints where the model shifted.
- Model detaching from supports and adhering to the FEP
Based on these failures my main theory is that we are getting way too much bonding to the FEP. Just yesterday I had a print that failed because it pulled the model off of the support structure. The FEP was old so I changed it out with a new sheet. This morning when I checked the reprint and it failed in the exact same way.
The parts are not complicated or delicate. In general they are actually fairly thick and substantial. Many of our prints require 500ml of resin. Could thick cross sections be part of our problem?
Variables that I have already tried:
Resin: I have tried multiple colors of Siraya Fast (using the peopoly resin setting guide) and now I am trying Elegoo ABS-Like Clear Blue (I am trying this because of the low odor and because of my previous success with it in the mars)
Temperature: I have found that if my room isnt at least 75-80 degrees my prints will not stick to the build plate in the first few layers. Generally I run my prints with a room temp of 80 degrees.
Leveled the build Plate: I have releveled the build plate several times using a sheet of printer paper and reset the zero.
Teflon Lubricant FEP Treatment: Applied Teflon to the FEP film and let dry. But I had sticking issues on the very next print.
I have attached photos from my last print to see if you all see any issues. As for supports you will see that I go WAY overboard and the print still rips off of them.
I must be over $300 in wasted resin at this point so if anyone has any tips or suggestions I am all ears.