Phenom Initial thoughts

I haven’t seen anyone post their Phenom experiences yet and wanted to put out what I have found so far. I was going to add a lot of pictures, but being a new user I can only add one.

A brief background, I have been printing on a Makergear M2 since it was released, and I have owned a Moai 130 since March of 2018. I have had relatively good results with the Moai and have been happy with it’s ability to capture even the smallest details on models. So long as I orient and support them correctly. The models I have and am printing have been made by me. I mention this as I feel that a lot of failed prints can be traced back to the STL file and not the printer itself. I have downloaded prints that on close inspection had major errors in them or I simply did not add enough or correct supports, or checked my laser power levels when changing resins, etc. I mention this to those that may be having issues, check what you’re printing then start looking at issues with your printer…

I received my Phenom on November 4th, I am set to deploy over seas on the 16th so I can say that it’s great to get it and have some time to play before I leave. (Thank you to everyone at Peopoly!
) As you can see in the pictures the printer was dented in the top corner, while I cannot say where in the shipping process this happened my neighbor is also the Fedex delivery driver and we are on relatively good terms so I do not believe that it was any mishandling by him. The exterior of the box looked well enough, scrapes and some gouges but nowhere near dent was location. The printer was double boxed and had all the corner foam pieces secured. The dent itself appears to be superficial, there are no dents or marks anywhere else on the printer. The heavy duty components used for the lead screw and rails truly do seem indestructible, and I believe this is why I am currently printing.

Having watched 3d Printing Nerd, and Uncle Jessie’s initial reviews. I checked to make sure the LCD (interface) screen was not loose and it wasn’t. The only issue I could find looked like a glob of something had been stuck onto one of the corners of the LCD (printing) screen.

The printer came with everything advertised, USB drive, scrappers, etc. I had ordered 2 liters of Deft White as Grey was not available at the time I ordered the printer. I reinstalled the copy of ChiTuBox that came on the thumb drive which included 2 profiles for the printer. The link to the wiki page is not yet up so there was really no start guide to go from. Being as impatient as I am I decided to mentally hammer through it, which turned out to be much less of a chore than I thought it was going to be.

To start I loosened the 4 screws on the build plate, installed it, set the home button for the Z axis, once it had lowered down I placed my hand on the plate in a similar way to the Moai easy to level plate and tightened the screws. Next I went to the “calibration” menu, this only made an illuminated box in the LCD (printing) screen, I’m assuming there will be something to print and cut out and place to check the calibration in the future. I added about 750ml of White Deft Resin, and with nothing really left to do with the printer itself I proceeded to slice my first model.

I chose a model of the UAV I fly for work, on the Moai this print would take about 30ish hours total, I have had mixed results printing multiple parts on the same platform with it. I had no such issues printing the entire model in the same scale… total time was 5.5 hours…. Truly amazing in regards to what can be done in way less time… also as you can see from the picture I could have added an additional model which would take no additional time to print. When it came to removing the parts I had an easier time with the Phenom, no accidental breaking of rafts or supports, I cleaned the parts as I normally do, a 10min soak in 91% isopropyl (highest strength I can get), followed by gently using a brush to gently scrub the parts down in alcohol, rinsing in water, then submerging in water under the sun. I let the parts cure for about an hour. While I can say that the surface finish is just slightly rougher than they Moai, I still need to sand the Moai parts down so I don’t see any additional finishing requirements at the moment.

I broken one part, I intentionally did this just to see how much more abused the parts could take. I was amazed when I first started cutting the supports, they seemed to snap much cleaner and there was less of that crunchy feeling that tends to happen with my Moai prints. In my excitement to start printing I just let ChiTuBox make it’s auto heavy supports not thinking to check and see what they were looking like… this resulted in a few parts having very few or only one support. From my experience this would have been instant death for the part in question on the Moai, yet they came out perfect here on the Phenom.

Now these are not meant to be digs on the Moai, I do believe that you get a slightly better initial finish, at least in the one print I’ve done so far compared to the Phenom. To me this is just a result of the differences in printing style, rather than having a single small point cure you have an entire layer being cured at once. As far as finishing differences, the Phenom seems to have more of a digital wood grain appearance to it, where as the Moai might have layer lines the lines themselves have less of a digital blocky appearance to them.

Currently I have a Dropship that will take about 30 hours total to print with 4652 layers going, as you can see from the pictures it’s about 2/3 of the way done. I am seeing some layer lines on the sides of some parts but I will wait until they are removed from the printer to say more on that.

This is a very nice review, I am excited for mine to ship as I have multiple prints ready to go that are just ot big for the Moai.

How is the Chitubox software feel compared to Asura?

Hello
So are we talking about the drop ship from Aliens here or from Halo? So far it looks great! Sorry that the link to the guide was not found, It is located here

When you finish your print, please update us on the results of the print so we can see how it came out and assist if need be.

Thank you

ChiTuBox I have to say feels superior to Asura.

Adding and adjusting models in both is pretty straight forward, where I feel that ChiTuBox has the edge is in it’s support functions. With Asura I at times have supports that fail to connect to the model while printing, where as ChiTuBox seems to really add those supports in. I have noticed this when using ChiTu on my Moai 130 as well.

Asura has come a long way from when it was first implemented and I feel that Peopoly understands the issues and is working hard to fix issues with it. As it is though with an excellent 3rd party slicer like ChiTu it’s seems like they might consider scrubbing Asura and focusing on making plugins for ChiTuBox.

Aliens! the OG of dropships!
I appreciate the link to the start guide, looks like I was mostly right in getting started. I’m sure you guys have been a little busy with the new release.

These are some of the digital wood grain effects I was seeing, again I get lines on my models with my Moai depending on how the model is oriented with the print and that may be what some of these are. One thing I did not do was to add the sheet of paper when setting the build plate level, this might be causing just a little too much pressure between the bed and FEP.

Like I said I expect sanding regardless of which printer I am using, I feel that the Moai and Phenom both allow me to skip huge steps in the clean up process and save a great deal of time. There might be a little more work with the Phenom but not much, and again I have yet to play around with my models and how they are oriented to the build plate.

Here’s a better view of the dent it arrived with.

Though I already painted the model on the right it came from the Moai and took about 30+ hours with all the parts, again 5.5 hours in one go and room for a second with the Phenom version.

Always nice when parts are interchangeable.

Those prints look exactly as expected for me. The moire is from the pixels on the lcd panel I believe, but would love to hear if I’m wrong.

They look great!

I agree, the parts sand well. I had some issues with parts that I had shelled in Autodesk inventor and scaled down to print… the walls were two thin and it caused distortions. So I’ll need to go in and adjust those parts and reprint.

I also snapped one of the tail fins. The scoops in front of the intakes had a weird pulled/stretched out effect going on but I don’t believe they had supports on them, so that’s on me.

the wood grain effect is typical of LCD printers, you can medigate it by different orientation, printer at a lower res for now

Anti Aliasing is available on the CBD motherboard, but I think it has yet to be implemented in the firmware.

Anit Aliasing is supported by the phenom and is in the advanced settings in Chitubox

Awesome, so I want to enable anti-aliasing for smother prints? I’m pretty happy with the results as it is but if they get better I certainly wouldn’t complain. How does anti-aliasing effect the output exactly?

Anti-aliasing basically makes the edges of the layer images slightly blurry, which helps to hide the edge transition from one layer to the next. It reduces the appearance of stepping lines on the print. The drawback is that it can compromise the sharpness of the print, but overall, anti-aliasing improves the printed model’s appearance. Obviously, anti-aliasing is only available on image-based printers like the Phenom, and not on the laser-based Moai.

Awesome, thanks for sharing, thinking of buying one later this year or next year, would be great to see how a print looks with antialiasing on.

I’ll probably have to wait to try until after I get back from this deployment, but with some sanding it’s turning out really well.

One thing i would probably do is switch to the deft grey as it can be difficult to see what needs to get sanded in the first place.

Would these be the settings I should use foe the anti aliasing?