I haven’t seen anyone post their Phenom experiences yet and wanted to put out what I have found so far. I was going to add a lot of pictures, but being a new user I can only add one.
A brief background, I have been printing on a Makergear M2 since it was released, and I have owned a Moai 130 since March of 2018. I have had relatively good results with the Moai and have been happy with it’s ability to capture even the smallest details on models. So long as I orient and support them correctly. The models I have and am printing have been made by me. I mention this as I feel that a lot of failed prints can be traced back to the STL file and not the printer itself. I have downloaded prints that on close inspection had major errors in them or I simply did not add enough or correct supports, or checked my laser power levels when changing resins, etc. I mention this to those that may be having issues, check what you’re printing then start looking at issues with your printer…
I received my Phenom on November 4th, I am set to deploy over seas on the 16th so I can say that it’s great to get it and have some time to play before I leave. (Thank you to everyone at Peopoly!
) As you can see in the pictures the printer was dented in the top corner, while I cannot say where in the shipping process this happened my neighbor is also the Fedex delivery driver and we are on relatively good terms so I do not believe that it was any mishandling by him. The exterior of the box looked well enough, scrapes and some gouges but nowhere near dent was location. The printer was double boxed and had all the corner foam pieces secured. The dent itself appears to be superficial, there are no dents or marks anywhere else on the printer. The heavy duty components used for the lead screw and rails truly do seem indestructible, and I believe this is why I am currently printing.
Having watched 3d Printing Nerd, and Uncle Jessie’s initial reviews. I checked to make sure the LCD (interface) screen was not loose and it wasn’t. The only issue I could find looked like a glob of something had been stuck onto one of the corners of the LCD (printing) screen.
The printer came with everything advertised, USB drive, scrappers, etc. I had ordered 2 liters of Deft White as Grey was not available at the time I ordered the printer. I reinstalled the copy of ChiTuBox that came on the thumb drive which included 2 profiles for the printer. The link to the wiki page is not yet up so there was really no start guide to go from. Being as impatient as I am I decided to mentally hammer through it, which turned out to be much less of a chore than I thought it was going to be.
To start I loosened the 4 screws on the build plate, installed it, set the home button for the Z axis, once it had lowered down I placed my hand on the plate in a similar way to the Moai easy to level plate and tightened the screws. Next I went to the “calibration” menu, this only made an illuminated box in the LCD (printing) screen, I’m assuming there will be something to print and cut out and place to check the calibration in the future. I added about 750ml of White Deft Resin, and with nothing really left to do with the printer itself I proceeded to slice my first model.
I chose a model of the UAV I fly for work, on the Moai this print would take about 30ish hours total, I have had mixed results printing multiple parts on the same platform with it. I had no such issues printing the entire model in the same scale… total time was 5.5 hours…. Truly amazing in regards to what can be done in way less time… also as you can see from the picture I could have added an additional model which would take no additional time to print. When it came to removing the parts I had an easier time with the Phenom, no accidental breaking of rafts or supports, I cleaned the parts as I normally do, a 10min soak in 91% isopropyl (highest strength I can get), followed by gently using a brush to gently scrub the parts down in alcohol, rinsing in water, then submerging in water under the sun. I let the parts cure for about an hour. While I can say that the surface finish is just slightly rougher than they Moai, I still need to sand the Moai parts down so I don’t see any additional finishing requirements at the moment.
I broken one part, I intentionally did this just to see how much more abused the parts could take. I was amazed when I first started cutting the supports, they seemed to snap much cleaner and there was less of that crunchy feeling that tends to happen with my Moai prints. In my excitement to start printing I just let ChiTuBox make it’s auto heavy supports not thinking to check and see what they were looking like… this resulted in a few parts having very few or only one support. From my experience this would have been instant death for the part in question on the Moai, yet they came out perfect here on the Phenom.
Now these are not meant to be digs on the Moai, I do believe that you get a slightly better initial finish, at least in the one print I’ve done so far compared to the Phenom. To me this is just a result of the differences in printing style, rather than having a single small point cure you have an entire layer being cured at once. As far as finishing differences, the Phenom seems to have more of a digital wood grain appearance to it, where as the Moai might have layer lines the lines themselves have less of a digital blocky appearance to them.
Currently I have a Dropship that will take about 30 hours total to print with 4652 layers going, as you can see from the pictures it’s about 2/3 of the way done. I am seeing some layer lines on the sides of some parts but I will wait until they are removed from the printer to say more on that.