Peopoly Moai Partial Failed Print

Hi all,

New to printing with the Peopoly Moai, I’ve succesfully completed the pillar callibration test (all corners are between 10.48-10.53) as well as the ring test and now moving onto larger components for work. The part I’m having trouble with is not complex (though is largely flat, not sure if this the problem/part of it?), images are attached of this part in Cura as well as the failed section which despite changing location and orientation remains in the same area.

I have tried multiple settings within Cura, including: standard settings from Cura for Peopoly Moai, settings included with the SD card from Peopoly for Cura and finally settings found online all with no discernible difference in rectifying this problem.

The other issues such as resin age, heater, build plate, vat debris have I believe been ruled out as the resin is two weeks old (issues with this print were present with the resin being in the vat after less than a week), heater is working (though not optimally, touch on the cool side but still overall warm), build plate is clean and vat is clear of debris. I’ve also tried changing the orientation and location of the print to no avail as well as trying the print at different quality levels from 0.02-0.10mm.

The model itself is manifold and so I believe there are no issues there but if anyone can think of any resolutions to this problem that would be extremely helpful!

one of the corner is slightly off with the others,
try to re-level and have them as close as possible, ideally would be 10.7-10.8mm
what is your build plate type and vat type?

I have re-leveled 5+ times, I originally had the corners at 10.8mm± 0.05mm but this issue was still present. I am using a FEP vat which I understand has more leeway with this measurement. I will try again at 10.7-10.8 and reply with results. I have also emptied and cleaned the vat and will retry with the other bottle supplied.

In the mean time, i would like to know more about the problem
please provide your settings, build plate type and resin type
it would make things better to understand and avoid dragging with additional questions

Of course, my settings I have tried are both the Cura35-moai-20um.curaprofile & Cura35-moai-100um.curaprofile provided on the SD card with the printer. I’ve not changed my Peopoly Moai 130 settings from the ones in the build guide specific to the FEP vat, build plate type is FEP vat also. I have only used the resin supplied with the Peopoly Moai also.

Does the resin have a shelf life even when unopened as both bottles, though sealed, had been there for approx 5-6 months?

Hi, I’ve now re-leveled to 10.8, (A = 10.78mm, B=10.80mm, C=10.80mm, D= 10.81mm).

I also drained the vat and replaced with Peopoly Grey resin prior to running the pillar calibration test.

I retried the print I am having issues with and the same issue has occurred. I noticed that there is a ‘gloopy’ residue that looks the resin part cured around this area that hangs from the build plate/print after the print has completed, why might this be?

@Northantsgun pictures will provide information as much as 10 paragraph
try to increase the z reset position by 1-2 value, most likely that there’s a area that’s not peeled right

After opening, the resin have a shelf life about 1 year

I have given images previously and this was just additional information. The print is adhering to the build plate though, as the issue doesn’t start at this point do you still feel this will resolves this?

What i meant wasn’t just the pictures of the failed print, but also the pictures of the Moai settings
The build plate type is either the standard build plate or the easy to level build plate, at this point it’s still unclear
At 1st i was suspecting that it was leveling or adhesion problem. But since you’ve already checked all those, it’s time to open up the Moai and check the galvo for dust or resin drops on the acrylic protector. Or anything that’s blocking the laser from that corner

I’ve uploaded images of the build plate type as well as both setting screens, these were set to those in the build guide which I believe are now a little outdated as I have now checked against the settings page on the peopoly wiki which I was previously unaware of. In the mean time I am printing a large 3mm square (128mm x 128mm) to see if the printing issues are in similar areas to those seen on the print that has been problematic. I will also try with new settings to see if this helps with this and come back to you.

I haven’t studied everything you wrote, but consider ‘suction’ when slicing. You have a large area and the resin trapped inside the model has nowhere to go.

1 Like

Is this an option within Cura (haven’t found it yet) or Asura? Appreciate your suggestion on this, additionally I have not printed this part with supports as it has a completely flat surface one side, is this a requirement in your experience?

Absolutely.
It was explained to me during my crash course. I’ve only used CURA, chitubox and mesh mixer to prepare. There is a hole function used for draining resin. It keeps the piece you removed as a separate part which you arrange on the build plate and plug back in afterwards.
The other thing to note is the likelihood of your model breaking when you remove it. It sticks like crazy to the build plate so be forewarned when printing directly. I do it but removal requires technique.
The way that was recommended is to tilt the part to something like 30 degrees and suspend it with supports.
Hope it helps…

This would help explain this issue, I’ve just done another print with this same part with the updated settings from Peopoly Wiki (and reuploaded firmware as a precaution, though it was the most recent firmware previously but just covering all bases). I noticed a good step in the part remaining whole but did notice the previous sections that were problematic almost looking complete bar the resin leaking when checking their integrity by hand so believe that this drain hole would help this by giving the resin somewhere to go rather than being trapped and uncured. I will try with supports, lucky this part is quite thin and flexible but other parts I am planning to print will no doubt be more difficult to remove so will bare this in mind. Thank you.