Parallel surface weird distortion

20190515_075230

The parallel area has a weird distortion, while the bigger side is facing the build plate and the smaller side facing the vat. Also, the actual width is 21.8mm.

I sliced it in the latest Asura, and It is the gcode:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dVcLozj6ZvtSY1sPD7a3WfVkXaa-2kQc/view?usp=sharing

0 Likes

Sorry to hear your issue, here is a survey we use to help us get as much info as we can from user so that we could provide best solution. Even if you might have provide some info already, please answer the question for the completeness.

support question:

Room temperature (best to be >25C):

What type of resin:

Build plate type: (Standard 1-piece / easy to level)

Vat: (Silicon vat / FEP vat)

What type Vat: (Peopoly Original vat, Recoated Peopoly vat, custom vat made by user)

Leveling measurement:

A, B, C, D (example 10.9mm)

Firmware version:

System Setting is default per Peopoly recommendation? (Yes/No)

Laser Power:

Z-reset position:

PM Motor Speed:

Z Follow Speed:

Software used to slice?

If using Asura,what version and profiles

If using Cura, what version and Profiles:

Infill %:

0 Likes

Room temperature: above 25C

What type of resin: Peopoly model resin grey

Build plate type: Standard 1-piece

Vat: FEP vat

What type Vat: Peopoly Original vat

Leveling measurement:
-A: 10.92
-B: 10.95
-C: 10.93
-D: 10.8
(the cylinders look a little bit skewed)

Firmware version: V1.18

System Setting is default per Peopoly recommendation? i guess yes

Laser Power: 58

Z-reset position: 1816

PM Motor Speed: 12

Z Follow Speed: 10

Software used to slice?

Asura 2.2.2
peopoly 100 micron calib-v2

0 Likes

in the second impression after adjusting also the inclined cylinders come out, check if in the second they also come inclined, in my case they are inclined but only the first impression, whatever the impression, I always have to print a 10X10mm cube first It comes inclined and I can start working

0 Likes

how is your ring test and circle test? have you done the advanced calibration yet?

0 Likes

Sorry for the late update. The ring test comes out decent, and the laser matched the cross and the circles in the advanced calibration as well.
Then I tried printing another object with similar geometric feature. The out coming print was still distorted the same way that the side facing the build plate is wider while the opposite is smaller. I doubt if it was caused by orientation or support amount

0 Likes

Are the objects solid or hollowed? Were they printed directly on the build plate? Two possibilities leap to mind. First, the initial layers are pressed onto the build plate harder and overcured to promote bonding, which can cause distortion in objects printed directly on the plate. Second, although the model walls may appear parallel and vertical in your design program, the slicer may not see them as such and introduce errors, such as exaggerated non-parallelism.

A couple of ideas:

What is your workflow? How many steps do you take between CAD software and printer? Reducing these may help reduce error.

Have you tried printing supported or in different orientations? It may help.

Understand that SLA’s wheelhouse really is small, detailed models. It can do mechanical parts, but FDM, etc. do it better.

Good luck.

0 Likes

The objects are solid, printed with supports and sliced with asura.

Besides of parallel structure, I tried printing a planar object with a right angle corner, orienting the corner close to the build plate and have the corner pointing toward the printer’s right side. The corner comes out stretching outward and being smaller than 90degree, then I thought it may be caused by the slicer. The distortion seems gone as I custom a calibration profile and the result came out much better.

However, I encountered another problem that there are visible straight lines all across the xy surface on the object, with the line pattern being parallel to the y axis. It just looks like something printed from a FDM printer, although the z axis is as smooth as always (printed at 80 microns). Would it be an orientation problem?

IMG_20190604_130340

0 Likes

The steps are completely normal. They are caused by the layer height and the inclination of the surface (quantization levels).

If the surface is parallel or perpendicular to the building board, no steps occur.

The smallest step width you get with a 45 ° orientation (width of 80 μm with a level height of 80 μm).

0 Likes

that is a weird lines. double check your fep to make sure it is clear, flat and not bubbles. it is generally a bad idea to print large xy surface area solid object as the pull force is going to be very high. Do you have to have this piece solid or oriented at a different direction. Printing solid on FEP vat is even a bit more difficult. Hopefully you are using the 1.18 settings and even further dial down the pm motor speed:
wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai:firmware

0 Likes