New FEP vat questions

@peopoly it’s great that you have designed a new vat. I almost hit the pre-order button but I believe there is more info to be given for peace of mind. As I must have mentioned before.

1.I have a roll of DuPont FEP and would like to use it. How can I implement it?

1. How is tension created in the FEP?

2. Do I HAVE to buy sheets of FEP from Peopoly only?

3. What if the FEP punctures? I don’t have a galvo protection plate.

The list of questions could go much further but these are some important ones which I think, need addressing.

Videos or photo instructions on how to change the FEP would be a great start.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

I believe the answer to your last question can be found in the description for the FEP vat.

“Film based Vat designed for Moai. Includes 3 metal pieces vat assembly + 1 acrylic tensioner + 1 FEP film. Make sure you pick up extra FEP films when ordering this vat.”

In other words there is an acrylic window under the FEP film if I interpret the description correctly. I have pre-ordered and with spare FEP-films :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve clearly missed this. Lol.

0 Likes

Here is a better way to see it:

http://wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai:fepvatbuild

2 Likes

That’s just what I needed. Thanks guys:+1:t4:

0 Likes

Regarding the assembly instructions at http://wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai:fepvatbuild
Why do you show the build plate lock knob in the photo on step 5? It appears to be resting on the center of the FEP film?

This new vat looks incredible and I am waiting for them to be available from Matterhackers.

0 Likes

that was someone’s clumsiness. Will update it soon as we modified the acrylic piece.

0 Likes

Is the fep vat pre-assembled?

0 Likes

yes. it is pre-assembled

0 Likes

Continuing the discussion from New FEP vat questions:

Are the new vats shipping yet?

0 Likes

not yet. wrapping up and begin shipment next week. We will go through the order as they came in.

0 Likes

ive got my new vat, ive been reading on some forums other then here that FEP does not print well with large scale prints, is this the case with the new vat? i do large scale prints currently with the PDMS vats.

0 Likes

FEP is very sticky, slow down as much as possible the tilt action and generally add more supports than you would normally do.

0 Likes

I have the peel speed set to 15 should I go lower?

0 Likes

15 is the minimum recommended. I find it to be too fast honestly, but I’m still experimenting with it. So start from 15 and slow down until it works.

Generally speaking I find the old vat better, IMHO the best reason to use the FEP vat is to be able to use more aggressive resins. With standard peopoly resins, I dunno.

0 Likes

if you do a large scale print matt3o let me know your vat speed tilt settings. for now i’ll use my pdms for now and use the new build plate on it.

0 Likes

Doing my first print w/ the vat and build plate now. I gotta say the easy adjust plate is just that - I got 3 10.7s and a 10.8 right off the bat. Looking forward to seeing how the print comes out tomorrow morning.

0 Likes

both vats have their plus and minus

PDMS vat tends to have less peel force than FEP because of the material properties but with really good FEP, the difference has been greatly reduced. FEP vat bottom is flat so once you set up level, you can just keep printing away and not worry much about level. PDMS vat is more tolerant of small debris and what not in the vat but less durable.

0 Likes

Hi
Do you know if MatterHackers are selling the latest FEP you guys changed to ?
Also what was the difference in the FEP film
Thanks

0 Likes

whats the problem buying straight from peopoly?

0 Likes