I started a 2400+ layer print yesterday (0.05mm layer height) and when I went into the workshop to check on it this afternoon, found that it had failed in a particularly unusual way. See the photo below:-
It appears that at about 85% completion, the printer switched to printing the 4-moai-test.gcode file instead, resulting in the Frankenstein creation that you see.
The 4-moai-test.gcode file was sitting in the same folder on the SD card as my print Gcode file.
The only logical possibility that I can come up with at this stage as to why it did this was due to a power fluctuation corrupting the print process as we did have a brief thunderstorm around 10:30 p.m. last night. I’ve cleaned up the build plate and re-started the print job this afternoon so will see how it goes when I get to the office in the morning. I’ve also deleted the other Gcode files from the folder so tha tthe only file there is the one I want. That may be a good or bad thing depending on what happens…
Note that the little blobs of resin in the front corner of the build plate in the photo aren’t attached to the build palte - they are the remains of the other 3 Moai heads that I picked off the bottom of the vat and just sat on the plate before I took the photo - these never formed properly as the locations that they started printing in were away from my print and thus were un-supported.
If the print runs to completion successfully overnight, then perhaps a small UPS may be warranted on large print jobs.