Messy supports failing


Hi I just fixed my calibration and temperature and had 1 print that was fine but then on my next print the supports failed but I dont know why. I use a FEP vat and PM motor speed of 10.

Does anyone know what is causing this support failure?


It looks like the supports are outside the model. Which slicer are you using? How are you placing the supports? If you can post a picture of the STL with supports, then we can see what was supposed to print. Also, Peopoly has a “standard” set of questions, which really help with troubleshooting. If you can provide that info, it would also help (I’d normally cut-and-paste, but I am on a mobile).


Sorry to hear your issue, here is a survey we use to help us get as much info as we can from user so that we could provide best solution. Even if you might have provide some info already, please answer the question for the completeness.

support question:

Room temperature (best to be >25C):

What type of resin:

Build plate type: (Standard 1-piece / easy to level)

Vat: (Silicon vat / FEP vat)

What type Vat: (Peopoly Original vat, Recoated Peopoly vat, custom vat made by user)

Leveling measurement:

A, B, C, D (example 10.9mm)

Firmware version:

System Setting is default per Peopoly recommendation? (Yes/No)

Laser Power:

Z-reset position:

PM Motor Speed:

Z Follow Speed:

Software used to slice?

If using Asura,what version and profiles

If using Cura, what version and Profiles:

Infill %:


Hi, I placed my supports using Asura, but then exported that to Cura to create the .gcode file because the first time i tried printing it it only printed 1 instead of 3 objects(when i directly saved .gcode from cura.)

here are my settings:
Room temperature (best to be >25C): 25+

What type of resin: Peopoly Model Resin gray

Build plate type: Standard 1-piece

Vat:FEP vat

What type Vat: Peopoly Original vat
Leveling measurement:

A, B, C, D: all 10,75mm

Firmware version:

System Setting is default per Peopoly recommendation? (Yes), SLA-125 v1.18

Laser Power: 58

Z-reset position: 1816

PM Motor Speed: 6

Z Follow Speed: 2

Software used to slice? Asura to generate support, then imported it to cura because the first time it only printed 1 (failed) object instead of 3

If using Asura,what version and profiles: version2.1, profile: peopoly moai 100um 35

If using Cura, what version and Profiles: version3.5.0, profile: cura35-moai 100um - 0.1mm

Infill %: 70%


Looking at the screenshot, I note that I can see the buildplate through the tips of the support. It appears that they are not touching the model. I would make adjustments to the support settings to place the tips deeper into the model surface. (I don’t use Asura, so I cannot help you with this step.)


Same notice as Paradoxial - the supports aren’t touching the model. You could try chitu or xyz software to produce the supports and then slice in cura. Links to both softwares are mentioned on Peopoly’s wiki.


@Thierry_Laurentius_S When using Asura, to export more than one model to a gcode file, hold the control key and click each model so they are highlighted in Light Blue. Once they are highlighted in light blue, then select the option to export to gcode and your preferred resolution profile.

I ran into this issue when I first started using Asura on my PC. Doing this worked perfectly.


like @Paradoxical_Cat said, you can see the support tips are not touching the model.
for FEP vat, the PM motor speed can be up to 12, and i would not recommend the full base support on the FEP, rather the circle base


Heey thanks for your reactions, I tried using Chitu to generate the supports this time but unfortunately this ended in another failure. I also tried to create a model without supports because its flat and simple that should be possible right? I hope you can tell me what i am doing wrong by looking at the photo’s.

The result

what it should be



it looks like the support is failing. this usually signify there is too much peel force. Since you seem to adjust your setting based on

here are few extra things to do:

  1. make sure the fep vat is clear. fep vat has hard acrylic bottom and is especially sensitive any debris inside. after a messy fail, it would be a good idea to clear resins out so there is no cured debris inside that affect plate height.

  2. fep works much better when it has oxygen attach on the surface. this helps separate. The best way to get that is to expose the fep layer before each print using the plastic scraper. (do it gently)

  3. make sure the build plate is clean and without debris, especially after a failed print

  4. make the tip of the suppoer to 1.2 (default is 1.0) in Asura. It will make
    you should consider using Asura if possible. If not, make the tip of your support a bit bigger no matter what software you are using