Layers smaller than 50 microns (noir)

Hi Team, has anyone been printing with a Phenom noir at anything less than 50 microns (0.05mm)?

I’m looking to have a crack at 40 or 30 micron layer height but want a kick start on the settings to make sure I’m not cross curing. My machine is 5 days old, and I’m using Peopoly white & grey deft resin.

Currently running this profile: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1In4SCd4b-sSATfRCthL72r6DLyTvJOsW3ksU3wNm38I/edit#gid=0

2 sec cure time per layer.

TLDR: I’m printing a spray nozzle for water, and I’m looking to make it smoother.

Can print layer thicknesses less than 0.05mm. Noir printing layer thickness is 0.02-0.1mm. The smaller the layer thickness, the longer the printing time and the shorter the exposure time. Specifically, it can be adjusted appropriately on the basis of the standard 0.05mm layer thickness.

Hi Support,

Thanks for the answer there.

Do you have any data about exposure times for the 0.02 layer height? Or should I start just trying exposure times to find out?

I’m currently running 0.05 at 2 second exposure for white deft resin.
I was thinking that 0.02mm layers at 1.5 second exposure might be a good start?

The short answer is don’t print layer height 20um on MSLA printers and not just larger ones like Phenom. Stick with 50um. It is the best combination for resolution, speed, and print success rate.

The longer answer is that the 20um is the layer height and is a lousy indicator for resolution. Layer height affects o resolution on Z-axis but could have adverse effects on x/y resolution, which is determined by resin and panel. By printing at 20um, the effect of crosscuring (UV light curing previous layers while printing current layer) is much higher than at 50um, and that lowers x/y resolution. Also, your print time is increased by at least 70% as the exposure time does not reduce linearly with the reduction in the layer height. It is often a loss/loss proposition. Additionally, many resins do not resolve well under 30um, so you are unlikely to gain anything there. There is a reason why we only showed a 50um profile.

Some pros do make 70um or 80um profiles to speed up printing without losing much on z-resolution.

Hi guys,

I guess I just read this and targeted 0.02mm? But I have read about cross curing so that completely makes sense.

But I have some other things to try :slight_smile:

I’ve been getting marks in the Z direction along my parts, so I was looking to decrease the height to make these smaller.

However from other posts it sounds like these will help:

1. Adding a heater to keep the temp at 25C inside the chamber
  2. Adding a drain hole (approx 4mm)
  3. And thinning down to hollow parts with 3-3.5mm wall thickness

If the resin resolves down to 0.03 is it worth trying 0.04mm layer height as well? Or just the other controls mentioned above?

Thanks!

You can try 0.02mm, 0.03mm, 0.04mm layer thickness printing, and the corresponding exposure time can be adjusted on the basis of the standard 0.05mm layer thickness. The exposure time can be adjusted to: 1.6s, 1.7s, 1.8s

1 Like