Just started using the Moai 130

Hi! So I originally backed the first kickstarter for the Moai, and I got it on time and all was well, I had it sitting for a long long time before I started to build it, my bad, not much free time etc and other priorities.

So eventually I started the build, after a year or so, everything seemed fine except a few kinks in the frame where the screws wouldn’t fit properly due to some machining errors I assume. It was mostly just for the sideplates and only one part of the frame so I managed to get through it, using different screws. It seems sturdy and fine. So after I had it built, I read up on calibration and then I had it sitting on its table for another long long time before putting it to use, I didn’t want to start a test-print and start using the vat before I knew I’d get more use of it continuously. And I wanted to order the LED Uv curing light first as well as we don’t have much sun here.
Now a couple days ago, I finally just figured I gotta start using it if I ever will. So I calibrated it using the up-side down method, and did the test-ring pretty flawlessly. Amazed by the time and quality. I then started a few other prints, to test some models I had made myself earlier, and I had a small failiure with the backside, but it came out presentably still, it managed to save it on the next few layers, a fail in supports on my end I’m sure. I then printed the eiffeltower and that went flawlessly as well.
Now my question, between prints, all I did was “scrape” gently in the vat pushing the resin around to feel if there was any parts after the failed back, everything looked attached to the model so it seemed fine, and the tower printed well after even though it took around 27 hours, I printed high quality on that for testing.

Today I had my first fail, I tried to manually make supports and i had poor orientation for the print, so I am pretty sure that’s why it failed, I once more tried to feel with the tool I got with the printer to remove from the buildplate but still didn’t feel anything in the vat and pulled the resin across the layer in the vat so it all could reflow some more.

Now to my question, how should I clean the vat and how often should I clean it? I see a lot of different opinions on this, some pour out the resin from the vat through a paint filter back into the resin container between each print, some uses the same resin for a weeks time. How long can the resin be in the vat? And what’s the best procedure to take care of it and get the most from it?
What to worry about and not. Also, after a print, when it’s cleaned in alcohol, and I cure it, any resin leftovers I should be extra careful about?

How should I clean the vat and how often should I clean it?
Clean the vat when you have a failed print and every time you put the resin back into the container.

I see a lot of different opinions on this, some pour out the resin from the vat through a paint filter back into the resin container between each print, some uses the same resin for a weeks time. How long can the resin be in the vat?
I don’t let my resin sit in the vat for more than a week or so. You want to keep it mixed. So, if you are not going to use the printer, pour the resin back into the container after a week to 10 days.

How long can the resin be in the vat?
I have not had an issue with leaving the resin in the vat for a week to 10 days. If you do leave it too long, you can mix it with your gloved finger pretty well for a few minutes.

What’s the best procedure to take care of it and get the most from it?
Best? Well keep it mixed and keep it printing. If you are going to let it sit for an extended time, filter the resin back into the container and clean the vat with ethanol.

What to worry about and not. Also, after a print, when it’s cleaned in alcohol, and I cure it, any resin leftovers I should be extra careful about?
Resin is not friendly stuff. Keep uncured resin away from your skin, eyes and mouth. Once it is fully cured, it is plastic and not toxic. Make sure to wash your model in water after you clean it in alcohol.

GL HF and Happy Printing.

1 Like

I have left peopoly green in my vat for 6 months unused uncovered while i was busy on other jobs…last month I needed parts, fired up the heater added some “fresh resin” from the old bottle, stirred it up and printed a perfect part off the bat. Resin with pigments will settle and likely need cleaning of the vat over an extended time.