Heater for build chamber

After replying to a couple of different posts, I was made aware that the temperature I was printing at was not nearly high enough. The room that my Moai is in, is at about 57 Fahrenheit (14 Celsius).
Mark pointed out a post in the Formlab forums for a small incubator heater and I decided to go ahead and buy it.
It ended up only costing $49.99 plus shipping. This is what I used: http://incubatorwarehouse.com/48-watt-incukit-dc.html

Here are some pictures of how I installed it.

I just took a piece of brass sheet (1mm thick) that I had lying around and drilled 2 holes and mounted it to the left back of the heater. You could really use anything for this, like a piece of acrylic or something like that. I am a metalsmith and just have lots of pieces of brass hanging around and the shears to cut it to size with, so that is why I chose this.

Then I took two document clips and clipped it to the column of the Z-axis as you can see in the picture above.

Here are some more pictures of the setup. I put it as high as I can, so it has the least chance to blow air on the build platform.

This is my print of a fork model, that I was only just able to fit!

For now I have the cables taped down with scotch tape, but I will do something more permanent later. Not quite sure what?? The power cord is just coming out of the front door as well, but I will probably end up drilling a hole in the back to have it out of the way.

In the Formlabs forum people were commneting on the fact that you will have air blowing around in the chamber and that it might blow around the resin, but I have not seen any evidence of that. Even with the really tall print in the picture, there was no resin blown off that I could see. The fan really does not blow very hard and is quit gentle.

Hope this will help some other people in cold areas. Let me know if anybody has any questions or suggestions.

Enclosure Heater - Under $100 - "Easy" to assemble
DIY resin heater. Indirect
Enclosure Heater - Under $100 - "Easy" to assemble
What can I do to make 20.mm perfect cube?
First job - doubts! =d
Heater for Build chamber - DIY module kit £13
Z Height too high?

Nice mod only thing that springs to mind is heat rises, i would have mounted the heater below the vat just so that the heat rising would heat it up as it passed, though having its own fan will help lots. Very interested in if this works well as it gets very cold in my place prolly about 10 C here at the mo.

I thought about the same thing, but the fan really does help to keep the whole build chamber nice and warm. I have it set at about 78 Fahrenheit (25 Celsius) and that seems to work pretty well.
I thought about putting the heater under the vat, but I was afraid the fan would blow around dust, which could then get onto the galvo mirrors, causing more issues than it is worth.
Eventually I want to make something to enclose the whole galvo unit and if I do that, I will probably put the heater in the bottom. Although I do like being able to easily see the unit, to make sure that it is still working correctly and not overheating etc.

Thanks for sharing this very useful module.

I attached it using a strong magnet.:slightly_smiling_face:

nice work! What about putting a screen behind the fan to limit the airflow? fire hazard maybe?

It is a good idea. I will attach a heat resistant film for FDM printer to the back

I might actually put a something over the front that is larger than the unit. The fan actually blows to the front of the unit and I did notice yesterday some small drops of resin had been blown around. So I figured, if I put something over the front with a cutout for the display and buttons, it will blow the air more to the sides instead of at the build platform

There are other ideas, based on what other users (even Form users) talked about. Just not sure what´s best, and how to apply it, as there are also some things that have to be considered, like how much heat we gain, and consuption (and money) over time, since we are talking about prints that can take several hours. In my case I have temperatures at 15ºC (59ºF) at the moment, so I need to gain at least more 10-15c (50-59ºF)

using a heating pad

Or using a Ceramic bulb (making a outer wood chamber seems a good idea)

Or even this solution, but does not seem very practical…

Also a curious thing, the Form 2 resin vat temperature https://support.formlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000016224 . Like Mark stated on another post, Peo resin needs less heat than the thicker formlabs resin, still worth to take a look.

How much do you guys where able to gain in terms of heat with this DIY unit? according to the original source the temperature went from 67º to 76ºF (19º to 24ºC)

What I like about the heater I wrote about at the top of this topic, is the fact that you have a thermostat. This allows me to set the temperature to where I want it and not have to worry about it anymore. It looks like some of the other solutions add heat to the build chamber or cabinet around it, but they don’t seem to have a temperature control.
The other part that I like about this little heater is that it is cheap! only $50. I have no problem getting to 78 F (25C) with this unit.
I do heat up my resin and build platform before I start printing as well, so the heater only needs to keep it up to temp once I start printing.

any of the above solutions can have a thermostat. But agree yours is more simple, but unfortunately its only available in US, meaning its quite a bit more expensive to EU, specially if it goes through customs. Can´t find anything similar that can be acquired for a lower price. The build “looks” simple but I´m not sure how to build that on my own.

I just took the right side off my printer and setup a little mini space heater that blows in from the side. It works pretty well aside from possibly blowing a little dust into the side. Also heats up the build plate which seems like would help heat the whole tank since it spends most its time in the resin.

This is my temp setup. Make sure the space heater has a proper height and distance to prevent the whole printer from getting to hot. I think the next best thing would be to actually wire up a heating element inside the vat. Although one would worry about damaging the pdms and acrylic.

Another thought of mine was to use a pet aquarium type heater since those do have temp control.

Do you guys thing it would work to rig up a heater with an extra hotend heater cartridge from an FDM printer? Or would it not heat up enough for that much space?

I think that you would not get enough heat out of the cartridge, which is quite small and designed to be in contact with the heated surface. It might work with a fan, but you’d need to rig up a thermal control of some sort (with most hot-ends that comes from the thermocouple embedded in the heater block and the control board). Basically it would be very inefficient and possibly at risk for a thermal runaway.

@tonberryhunter I considered an aquarium heater as well. However, every spec I read indicated that they were meant for immersion use only. I am concerned that 1) the thermocouple won’t be able to accurately read temperatures, or 2) the material of the heater might fail due to the lower thermal conductivity of air. If you find a dual-purpose aquarium/terrarium heater, I would be interested to hear about it.

Although I agree that the incubator unit is technically the best option, is still expensive for EU. So still looking for other solutions. Maybe this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332387735171?var=541400451017 but this one really doesn´t have a thermostat nor can you use one to control this I think.

I agree with paradoxical cat, that a hot end probably would not give off enough heat to heat that whole space. The heat pad for a build platform from a fdm printer might. But then you would still need to set up a thermostat with that. Plus I am not sure where you would put the pad without it touching the plastic exterior and possibly melting it.:disappointed_relieved:

I would love to get the details about which magnets you are using and how they are attaching. Waiting for the heating element to arrive. I had originally planned to secure it with a metal plate like Joostd did, but magnets, if wrong enough, should be even easier. Do you mind showing a bit more detail on exactly what you did, how it was secured, etc?

I used a ring magnet of 12 mm X 3 mm.

After drilling fixed 3 mm hole in the fan frame of the fan, reinforced the surrounding with adhesive.
IMG_3720
It is because the frame of the fan is thin and it will tear when opening 3 mm hole. I used this because I had this magnet just at home, but I think that it is easier to attach if there are narrow holes.
IMG_3721