Handling resin vapors: respiratory protection, yes or no?

Again and again, the question of how to handle resin properly arises. The gloves are mandatory, luckily got around. But there are still uncertainties about the smell.

At the beginning, I was also a bit hesitant (unknowing) when printing with the Moai 200 and PeoPoly NEX resin. During printing, the smell of resin was clearly in the air. With the excitement and joy of successes that occurred in the first print trials, the smell was associated with positive feelings. However, I quickly got a furry taste in my mouth, dry eyes and a little cough later. By the way, Iā€™m not an allergic person or particularly sensitive to something like that. The printer is in the office, next to my workstation.

As a remedy, I bought a half mask with filters A2 (Climax 756):

Climax%20756

And against the burning of my eyes, I put on safety goggles, which also helped a little.

I was not really happy with that. Although I did not perceive the smell anymore, it was not really good for the eyes. In addition, the fumbling with the glasses and the mask disturbed me.

In addition, I finally received a safety data sheet for the acrylate resin from a German resin supplier.
Short excerpt:

Most important adverse effects:
Causes skin irritation.
May cause an allergic skin reaction.
Causes serious eye irritation.
May cause respiratory irritation.
Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects.

Learned ā€¦ done. The solution, a full mask (3M silicone full face mask, 6800L, Filter A2) had to:

Now I had solved all the problems. No more odor, eyes good, very good handling, unobstructed view, no fogging and does not hinder the work. I can recommend this to anyone and do not forget to air!

Conclusion: Read and observe the safety data sheet before use!

1 Like