Fep vat not printing in the center of the buildplate

Hello, I have a fep vat. Put in a new fep layer recently. Leveled the build plate to the fep vat and printed succesfull in all the corners.(ABCD)

Now when i make a full print. It does not print in the center of the buildplate.

My z position is at 1815

0 Likes

I’m no help in this instance, but I’ve run into the same issue here. I can print every where else on the plate but the center as you have shown.

0 Likes

if you can print the test file successfully, the problem must be in the slicing phase, please upload some picture of your slice.

0 Likes

Could it be that the center of the fep sheet is hanging in the middle?
I allready printed this file succesfull before with pdms. I doubt very much the slice is wrong, because its the same slice as the previous succesful print with dpms.

0 Likes

If that is the case maybe you need more tension in the FEP!?

2 Likes

How do i do that? Does it help just to lower the z one number? 1816?

0 Likes

did you check the heights of the leveling pegs you printed above?

keep it higher in the 10.8-10.9mm will give you good results.

1 Like

I havent changed my FEP yet…

But watch this video from @Model3D and see if you did everything right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyCA7Iwy74

2 Likes

Leveled again and printed 4 column and one in the middle.
Sides were:
Leftfront: 10.85
Rightfront: 10.85
Leftrear: 10.9
Rightrear: 10.83
The middle column failed.

If u say it’s wrongly sliced i can send u the gcode. It’s sliced in cura with 0.1mm layer height. Just your a,b,c,d files and one in the middle extra(which fails)
What’s next?
Community says i should tighten the fep layer. How do u suppose i do that? I allready followed the steps u set for that in the wiki.

0 Likes

increase your z-reset by 1 and that should do it for the middle.
make sure there is no debris in the vat or on the plate. We had a user with a tiny thin layer of clear cured resin on the build plate and he could not figure why one corner keeps failing until he found and remove that.

0 Likes

I donno if it’s debree. Could surely have been. At our fablab(makerspace) we’re designing a fep tensioner.

0 Likes

This is an issue for me with PDMS as well, and the reason I have not switched to FEP, as it won’t get better with that system. I’ve tried to get Peopoly to confer on the issue and I don’t get any clear response. I can print either posts in the corners or post in the middle, not both. The problem is this- the prints around the edge contact the film/PDMS and push down the surface slightly, and that translates to a bow in the middle of the build plate, increasing the initial layer thickness in the middle causing a fail. .0005" is enough, and that’s not a lot of distance to warp. The new acrylic plate for the FEP is a step to fix the issue, but I am leery to invest more in Moai printers without some solid back and forth on how to deal with this problem.

0 Likes