Detail and Laser Focus

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time posting. I’ve using my Moai for about 10 months now and this forum has been a great resource in helping me getting it tuned. I started with Hitemp but quickly switched over to standard grey resin and got much better results. My prints were still mediocre because of distortion but a couple months back I updated to 1.18 firmware and started using Asura with calibration, which helped a lot. However, no matter what I try I can’t get crisp details to come out on prints. I know the laser spot size should be 0.067mm but I’m getting a radius of about 0.4mm on corners and holes under about 1mm in diameter are mostly or completely sealed. On the ring test I was only able to get a couple of holes opened before supports started failing. I know that the acrylic galvo cover is not the problem because I removed it mid-print with no change in quality whatsoever. I don’t think this is an overcuring issue as I have the laser on 57 and even when I tried on 55 with supports failing there was little to no improvement.

I guess this could be a temperature issue, but I have printed with and without a heater which takes the room temp from 23C to 25C with no improvements. I do have the heater close to the printer so I imagine that the temperature is higher than 25C in there. I also have the printer in a box with a fan that sucks air outdoors. Could this be affecting print quality?

My theory is that the laser is somehow out of focus. I’ve tried changing just about every other variable I can think of and I still always end up with this issue.

Settings:

Asura 2.2.1
80um profile

A: 10.49mm
B: 10.83mm
C: 10.68mm
D: 10.92mm
(never had problems with bed adhesion)

This detail is raised 0.4mm.

How should I proceed? Has anyone else had or solved any problems relating to laser focus like this before?

Should I try and adjust the laser position or get Matterhackers to send me replacement parts? Or should I just accept this as good enough?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Print with 60- and 40-micron layers and you should see an improvement in your details.

0 Likes

Thanks Joseph. I always thought that I should dial in the higher layer settings first, but I’ll give it a try. I will be away from the printer for a few days but I’ll test it soon and share my results.

0 Likes

if your laser is out of focus, it would cause a thin layer of resin at the bottom of the print, much like a skirt,
printing with higher detail profiles most likely will fix the problem and if you want it to be exactly the diameter you wanted, you should take a 6% shrinkage after curing into account

0 Likes

@peopolysupport is this what you are talking about? I’ve been getting some weird artifacts on the bottoms of prints. It’s much worse on large flat prints like the Asura calibration ‘plus’ shape.

I had forgotten about shrinkage. I’m sure that this is part of the problem. Next I’ll try the 40um profile and see if that helps.

0 Likes

no @ACE3000, that looks like build-plate adhesion, the “skirt” looks exactly what it’s called, unevenly spread, like this :

0 Likes

Thanks @peopolysupport, I think that rules out laser focus then. I tried printing at 40um and and it’s looking a bit better (pictures soon). I suspect the rest is just the little things on my end (dust, temperature variance, print orientation) keeping me from perfection.

0 Likes