Cura not working in moai printer

Hello, I have installed 3 different versions of cura. newest version, 3.5.1 and 2.6.2. When I go to print, all show 0 layers. I used ring stl file and it still did not work either. The printer works when I use the ring gcode file supplied. What am I doing wrong? Thank you, Jeff Otto

0 Likes

here is the file from meshixer: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JMAPi05ZdlJ70qasDCxGpbRZ2cAIHKui

0 Likes

I haven’t got that pathway working yet either. For me, the only way I can get solid prints is to use Asura on PC (via Parallels as I’m on a mac).

This post helped me a bit. [For Beginners] Starting from Scratch: AKA How I Learned to Stop Hating my Moai

1 Like

have you install the Cura profiles for Moai?https://wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai:cura&s[]=cura
have you tried Asura?

0 Likes

first off, there are a bunch of diferrent Cura programs:

which one do I download? directions do not tell you.

The directions first say to download cura 3.5.1. later it says this is incorrect? so on the Screen shot I sent, which one do I download? Do I have to add something to it, once I download it. The directions are totally confusing. I spent 2 days trying to figure this out. Please be very specific when responding to my question. I need the parts printed asap. Thank you.

I tried to find Asura, and had no luck in doing so.

0 Likes

http://wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai:asura

0 Likes

those are profiles for the Cura slicer, you should download all of them and import to Cura software
the default profiles that Cura have is incorrect to Moai, that’s why we have to make our own profiles and import them
do exactly as the Cura guide (i sent you in the last comment) in the Installation section and it should work fine, the part where we said the profiles is incorrect is just an explanation on why you need to download the custom profiles

0 Likes

Ok, I will give it a try not sure how to import the updates I to cura? Thank you for your help.

Jeff Otto

0 Likes

I have all the profiles loaded into Cura.

Please verify I have the steps correct from here.

1. import stl file into cura
  2. select custom
  3. slice
  4. export gcode file to sdcard
  5. print on moai.

Do I have to do anything else such as select a certain moai profile? Anything else I am missing? I want to not use meshmixer and just use cura to make supports and slice. Will that work or is it better to use meshmixer for adding supports and orientation?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help!

Jeff Otto

0 Likes

You only use Cura for slicing to gcode. It is not suitable for creating supports for SLA printers. Please read the Peopoly wiki for examples on great softwares for supports.

Workflow

Open STL file in eg Chitu.
Tilt object and create supports.
Export to STL.
Import to Cura and choose Peopoly profile eg 80um and slice.
Save gcode on SD card and print on Moai

1 Like

Do I have to load the moai printer settings into meshmixer? thank you for all your help!

Jeff Otto

0 Likes

No. Meshmixer only works on the STL files. Thus, it is printer-agnostic. The Maoi profiles are to make sure that the g-code parameters are correct.

You may have to play with settings in Meshmixer to get the best results.

0 Likes

as @Whazaa said, Cura is only for slicing, other setup for the model like hollow and support generation need to be made on other software that specify for SLA printing(Chitu,B9 creator,Meshmixer,XYZware,Asura…)
only use custom profiles to print with Moai

0 Likes