Crab shells to aquarium?

Have anyone test clear resin in aquarium use? Like following video shows.

I’m planning to test cured resin to daphnia, but how toxic resin is after cure? In long run I mean.

I wouldn’t use standard resin in any instance that it might be ingested. It’s toxic and it will always be toxic.

If you wanted to use resin in an aquarium, I would use dental resin. Its non-toxic and safe. You can technically drink it. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Dental-Products/Dental-Composites/ , there are several dentists on the forum that various dental resins often.

Also, any person who uses animals in “art” is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Also other use for doing aquarium things are to make cave for fish. Some fish need special cave for breeding and they are picky. If i can mimic natural cave it could be huge advantage. So not only fun thing are made. Also usefull. And now those crab are using natural shell and it is also art on my point of view. It is only made by nature and I could mimic purely that shape also. But yeh need to invtesigate those dental resins.

1 Like

perhaps those dental nightguard will work for you @tseku as those are rated to put into human mouth. we do not carry those for Moai but knows dentist printing those resins on Moai and have it on our exposure table

Ofc Fish are not eating print plastic. Most of used part in aquariums are ABS-plastic. Mostly my intrest is skin contact effect. Example do peopoly resin effect full cured to human skin. I have used abs and pla in aquarium after test them with daphnia. So if peopoly resin is not slowly dissolve to aquarium i could work as decoration.

That is the part that I cannot answer at the moment. I will ask my chemist about this but do to fish wastes contain ammonia (I used to keep fish), it may have some adverse effect. I still think those dental resins for surgical guides are the safest bet

Nitrification goes like (NH3)fish-> (N02-) -> (NO3-) -> Out from aquarium when i change water. Most of time it is NO3 other forms are toxic to everyone in aquarium. So those steps are fast.

Loger therms:
Nitrosomonas species (among others) convert ammonia (NH3) to nitrite (N02-), while Nitrobacter species (among others) convert nitrite to nitrate (NO3-)