Brand new Phenom, can't get successful prints

I’m new to resin printing and the Phenom is my first printer of this type (been FDM printing for a number of years now) and I have yet to get successful prints. Out of the 6-7 I’ve done only one of my prints has worked properly, all the rest have had bed adhesion issues. The problem has consistently been parts at the center of the plate failing to adhere; parts around them have printed but the failed parts end up as flat blobs stuck to the FEP film. I’m really frustrated because the parts that have managed to print look excellent.

I’m using Anycubic Basic Grey right now, which seems to be well reviewed in other printers so I don’t think the issue is the resin itself and I’ve used resin from two different bottles now so it’s unlikely I got a bad batch. For settings, on my first print I used the preloaded Deft profile. I then experimented with altering those settings, none of them changing the outcome. I’ve tried Bottom Exposure Times of 50, 75, 100, and 120 seconds. I’ve tried Bottom Lift Speeds of 36, 24, and 12 mm/min. I’ve tried with both the recommended skates as well as a larger raft (~70mm diameter containing multiple parts), with the same results.

The temperature of the room I’ve been printing in has been between 75-85F (24-30C) so I don’t think this is a temperature issue. The resin has been filtered after each failed print so it’s not an issue of floating bits in the resin. And, since the vat has to be refilled every time, the resin is well shaken before printing. The LCD, FEP, and plate are all wiped down with alcohol before printing so I don’t think anything’s dirty.

I’ve also checked the machine for physical defects that might be causing the issue. When I put a steel rule against the plate and the LCD both appear to be flat and not warped so I’m confident that’s not the problem. I have noticed a somewhat glossy patch in the center of the plate where failed prints have been. Should I maybe lightly sand this area in case debris has formed in the textured surface?

I’ve used the following bed leveling techniques:

1. As described in the manual where you home the machine, press down on the corners to tighten, and then lower the plate until a sheet of paper is grabby (for my machine this was at -0.3mm) and set to zero.
  2. As above but then backed up by 0.1mm for the zero.
  3. Loosened all plate screws and lowered to home with the vat installed, then tightened the screws as it sat and then backed up by 0.1mm for the zero.

I’m using the FEP film that came installed in the vat. Wiping it down with alcohol before/after each print has left it somewhat cloudy looking and, on closer examination, almost melty looking. It’s also looking scratched where failed prints have had to be popped off with the plastic scraper. I assume that this will probably need to be changed but I can’t find the procedure in any of the manuals.

All that said, I would guess this is one of two problems: there is a bad setting in my print profile and I’m not experienced enough to know what it is, or the FEP film is bad and needs to be replaced despite having less than a dozen prints on it. Anybody have any ideas or advice?

hi

Sorry to hear your printing issues. The most efficient way to provide you the best answer is to get as much information from you as possible.
Information we need from you:

• order number
  • where you are based
  • Issue survey info Here is the support survey that covers all the key factors affecting. Some may be answered while other may seem unrelated to issues at hand. Please do answer as complete as possible so we can provide best recommendation and even share some additional tips for you. The survey can be found here:

you can download it as word file and put your answers in

Order Number: I didn’t order it from you guys directly, I got it through MatterHackers.
Where you are based: North Eastern USA is as close as I’ll give in an open forum.

Survey info

Type of Resin: Anycubic Basic Grey
Firmware Version: v4.2.22_LCDH/3840x2160/F2.8
Exposure Parameters: Multiple attempts with different settings. Here’s the last one I used.

Room Temperature: ~25-30C
Calibration Image: My camera refused to take a picture (I think the auto focus was too confused), but it looked just like the example picture in the survey.
Leveling: Yes, it was checked and set multiple times.

Software: ChiTuBox 1.6.5
Support Settings: Default skate as described in the setup document. Also tried with a raft and that also failed.

Post-processing: Not applicable.

I’m having similar issues with the new Phenom L we just received. Went through 4 test prints so far. Parts are not adhering to the middle of the build plate, however, they seem to be adhering to the outer area of the plate. I’m using Siraya Tech Blu. Have flashed the latest firmware to the printer as well. Contemplating on sanding the build plate a little, however, going to wait until you guys respond back to the original poster.

Anycubic Basic Gray resin has not been printed and tested on our equipment, and we do not know its printing parameters.

1. Since Phenom exposure is open, it is suitable for third-party or 405nm resin. So you can try to use some functions to print, but not all of them are possible. The laser person will certainly not work. Compared with small printers, printers of this size are more picky when using resin. Siraya Tech and smart resin provide some good options. Through our tests, we found that due to the relatively new industry, there are currently some unethical resin suppliers on the market. Be selective and check most reviews.
  2. The platform has been leveled before the equipment is shipped from the factory and has undergone strict printing tests. Generally speaking, there is no need to level it when the equipment is received. If you level it again, you can move it down by 0.3mm. This is the leveling manual
    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OYwTbgRwkHPn-z53MA9klxL
    HZiQqk2_NI1-wktunsTM/edit?usp=sharing

I already said I leveled it as per the instructions and it didn’t help. And no, my machine was not level when I received it. The bracket on the plate was bent and had to be straightened. You might want to review your packing methodology if this was shipped level. Thankfully the bracket appears to be aluminum and it was easy to bend it back to square.

It can be adjusted by loosening four locking screws%5B%7DT5ZNF(WF1SS%40K4O_)E(%24W

Yes. Obviously. Loosening the screws is part of the bed leveling procedure. Which, for the third time now, I have already done.