Auto resin refill

Hello everyone,

I just got a new Moai 130 and want to let it run without the need to be there and refill it so I’m looking for a way to get an automatic refill.

Has anyone made something like this or do you have any idea?

0 Likes

If you fill the vat up until the fill line (silicone vat) you don’t run out of resin during the print. I have never been even close to running out of resin and I print big objects maxing out XYZ. The objects are hollow so the resin consumption is surprisingly low.

0 Likes

In order to avoid any catastrophic failure while the dispensing the resin I would avoid a hole at the bottom of the bottle or a cap replacement with the bottle upside down. One thing that I may consider is a peristaltic pump, these kind of pumps can move liquids of a wide range of viscosity and aggressiveness, you just have to use the right tubing.

These pumps are often used in harsh/strict industrial environment and for whatever reason the manufacturers have been able to convince people that they are complex, highly technical stuff worth thousands of bucks… when it’s just a few rollers, an axle, a motor and a tube. Things like that would work very well :

There are similarly priced models with a stepper motor for more precise dosing, not that you would need this in particular.

Now the trick is to control the motor. A closed-loop system would be great but optical/dielectric detection isn’t very reliable/precise in this situation. Ideally you would weight the vat but that would be a pretty big alteration of the Moai’s design. Another simple open-loop solution is an systematic refill operation after X amount of layers printed, but that would have to be programmed on a per-print basis. Simpler still, a single refill operation in the middle-end of the print based on a timer.

1 Like

Ok but my first objects are solid because over wise there would be multiple bubbles inside the print or is this ok?

0 Likes

All cavities in a model must at least have a drain hole placed at the beginning of the cavity (where the cavity starts to print) to avoid succion effect and trapped resin.

0 Likes

If you print small objects not covering a big area in the X/Y plane then you can print them solid (70% infill).

0 Likes