Asura software - Updated 4/26/2019 - improved performance, bug fixes and new profiles

This orientation ?

0 Likes

I did it the other way around because that is the front. but the issue may happen either way.

created this other thread for more info about printing these in general. (aside from asura issues)

0 Likes

you do want to reset everything to default, do the manual hardware calibration before doing the Asura’s software calibration to get the most out of it.

slicing wise, Asura is using Cura with same profiles the issues has got to be somewhere else but not the slicing portion

0 Likes

the issue in Asura during slicing. if I exported the model to STL no supports out of place, if I exported it as gCode. they slide over to one side and almost fell off the model…
I stopped using Asura for now. will wait for a Mac version to test. for now ChaTuBox and Cura work… (sans distortion adjustments…)

0 Likes

This is actually a bug in asura distotion correction done right before slicing. Asura generates a stl file which is distorted in reverse relative to the machine distortion. You can see this stls in your user’s temp directory:
C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\Peopoly\2.2.1[guid]\stl2gcode.stl

Here you can see it, the two supports in +y direction are moved out of place:

asura_dc_00 asura_dc_01

@peopoly Wrong orientation/rotation of support geometry data before distortion correction?

Try to slice your ring with no calibration file selected and the supports should be in the right place.

0 Likes

Are Asura's profiles the same as Curas?
Formware3D for Moai - what is the best print logic / speeds?

The workaround for this may be to export a good STL, then bring that back in and slice with correction on at that point?

0 Likes

Yes, that should work.

• Export stl with supports
  • Reimport into Asura and position on buildplate
  • Slice with calibration

=> gcode with supports at the right place.

0 Likes

the reason for that is because there is no way to add correct distortion on STL as the it does not have coordinates relative to printer volume. Only gcode (or image file) can be corrected

0 Likes

I don’t know what caused it. I get that distortion is added to the Gcode but the supports shifted if I didn’t save an STL first, then re import that and generate gcode. So there is something going on between adding supports and generating gcode if you don’t do it with the extra step of creation of new STL and then use that. At least for some models like this ring parallel to the print bed.

0 Likes

stl cannot carry the adjustment because it is vector based and does not have coordinates. The distortion adjustment is coordinated dependent and only can be done at the very last moment of exporting to gcode

0 Likes

effectively . Peoply, your reasoning is very strange. it’s really amateurish … it really feels like you’re selling a gadget to kids.

0 Likes

if you do hollow after adding supports, the supports will be gone and you will have to regenerate them

1 Like

adding supports will not be possible if angle is to high (about>50 depend on your parameter settings)

1 Like

@Peopoly please give function to add raft only.

1 Like

the guide is not clear at all about that. thanks

0 Likes

The bug which can not add support after doing hollow is not fixed with ver 2.22

0 Likes

Can Asura 2.2 change the travel speed? As far as I can see, the two things one would need to change when switching from normal resin to Nex resin (or really, any other resin) is laser power level and travel speed for the laser. The power level can be changed on the front panel, but is there a way to set the speed in Asura?

0 Likes

Asura at the moment is useless as a slicer. Basic manipulation tools are missing.

• Copy / Paste or Duplicate
  • Position/Rotation type in form like you have for scale
  • Support Edit/Move

On the support side, there should be buttons assigned to quikly change from add/remove/edit and the undo should work here

so by default the support should be set to add, and if you press CTRL it will change to select and drag mode and if you Press SHIFT it changes to Delete

0 Likes

You can move objects with it. One of the problems with Asura is that it’s completely counter intuitive and there’s no manual.

To move an object, click it once with your mouse then on the left…grouping of square buttons… Click the second from the top. You can rotate the object by clicking on the circles and moving your mouse. You can also move the object by clicking the red, green, or blue aarows and moving your mouse.

I assumed the arrows were just there as an indicator for the rotation circles at first. They’re not - they actually do something different.

Although Asura doesn’t have copy/paste, you can achieve that by right clicking on an object and selecting “save”. Then you hit the topmost box on the left side. You can load the object you just saved. Not quite as convenient as a proper Copy/Paste function but it’s not THAT bad and it gets the job done.

AFAIK, being able to type values is a huge gap in Asura. Unless I’ve missed that bit of functionality it means you can’t be accurate with any change you make. If I need to do something like that, I load the object up in Sketchup. I guess not everyone is married to a teacher (sketchup is free for teachers) so you might have to use something else.

No matter what I modify/design objects with, I always slice with asura. I’ve never been disappointed by the slices it provides.

FYI: Asura is actually using cura to do the slicing, but it provides the necessary details to cura in order to get the slicing right for moai. If you look in the Asura folder, you’ll find CuraEngine.exe and the supporting libraries.

0 Likes

there are already quickly add / remove /delete since version 1.6 a is for adding support and d is for delete. it is in the user guide

0 Likes