Assembly - screw holes not tapped

I am on page 40 of the Moai Kit Install guide v2 and have hit a problem attaching the front door hinges to the frame. I cannot screw in any of the 4 FH M5x25 screws into the frame. On close inspection I cannot see a thread in the holes of the frame. Is it possible that the holes were not tapped during manufacturing or have I missed something? If the holes were not tapped should I purchase a M5 tapping kit or is there a cheaper fix?

This is a closeup of one of the holes on the frame:

We must have missed that. We are very sorry about it. Do you have threading tools? It is aluminum and can be done by hand. Please email us @ contact.

I had the same issue with 3 of the M3 holes which hold the side panels on. I was able to tap the threads myself, so no problem - just letting you know so you can keep track of quality issues.

We didn’t build the door when doing the calibration. Will start checking the doors hinge again before shipping.

1 Like

I purchased a M5 tap and tapped the holes. This was fairly easy.

1 Like

Hi, I had the same problem, and needed to know solution (presumed a tapping tool would do the trick,but wasn’t sure of size) so thanks for post solved my problem.

1 Like

sorry about it. M5 tapping tool would do

1 Like

Not a big deal easily fixed.

1 Like

Lame mine came with no treads either :frowning:

do you have a tapper? @jacobsdr
sorry about that.

I didn’t last night but now I do!

I also had to tap my M5 holes as well.

Extra bonus step, no extra charge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep one of those things that adds to the DIY experience :sunglasses:

Jumping on the bandwagon. The kits sent to matterhacker’s have the same issue, where the M5’s arent tapped :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a complaint, just for your information Mark. I have just finished my Moai build and the only issue I found was with the front acrylic panel. Only 4 of the 6 holes for the M3 bolts were pre-drilled. The two holes at the top of the panel were missing. It was very easy to drill the 2 missing holes in the acrylic, so overall this was still a very well made kit and easy to assemble. Well done

1 Like

The untapped m5 holes for the door is the part we missed. that part is not assembled during testing and thus missed. I have added to required check step now

1 Like