I own a Peopoly Moai for about a month now. The building process was stress free and I had very few failed prints since then, but I have one problem and I’m all out of ideas. Printed models have very visible layer lines/layer shifts and this is problematic for the kind of models I want to print and the reason I bought a Moai. A weird thing is that these lines are reproduce-able, happen at the same height when the model is printed again and I think (I’m not 100% sure) they are also at the same height when comparing different models.
The tilt mechanism has no play and the metal rod is fixed in place. I had some movement in the tray at the beginning but print quality was the same even after fixing it. I HAVE some (very little) play in the mechanism that holds the Vat(not the Vat itself), but as I see it, this stems from the leveling springs and I have no Idea how I would fix that. Tilt motor screw is straight and inline.
I spent about a month now trying to find the source of the problem, I have a hunch that there could be something wrong with the Z-axis, but I also have no idea how I would test it. I already wasted about 700mL of Resin in attempts to solve the issue. So it is starting to get pricey.
Does anybody have an idea how I can diagnose my Moai or even fix?
Examples of the artifacts, you can see the layer shifting also at the support pillars:
This the kind of model I want to print and what I used as a benchmark after trying something. Every 3rd time I would print bigger and different models as an extra control. I can post more pictures if needed, I also printed a few of the homer gcode file from this forum (link further down) and other bigger models with the same outcome.
PP Grey Resin and PP Black
Standard settings, firmware 1.16
except Laser-power: 55 (58 with Black resin)
Temperature about 26°C
Latest leveling: A 10.72mm; B 10.73mm; C 10.74mm; D 10.72mm;
SD Cards were formatted with official format program and many different were used to see if the error was with the card
Standard Cura profiles (Downloaded 19.03.2018); “Cura-2.6.2-14-Moai Edition-win64”
Supports mostly via Chitu but also XYZ and B9
What I already checked/did/try and the effects:
- Tightening the bolts mentioned in the Wiki under regular check up → No change
- Tightening all bolts systematic → No change
- Checking the build instructions against my build → Everything in order
- Re-centering the Resin tank → No change
- Fixing the Vat fit with paper and then tape → No change
- Tightening build-plate and printing spanner for it → no change
- Raised temperature via reptilian heater pad to 29°C (28°C Resin temp) → No change
- Tested different Vat → no change
- raised Laser-power to 60 and then lowered it to 52 → 60 over-cured, but no change
- Tried with 2 different Resins (PP Black and Clear) → no change
- Leveled the table the Moai is standing on → no change
- Bolted the table to the wall → maybe slight change but hard to say
- printed feet for Moai and leveled it → No change
- printed flexible pads as shock absorbers and anti slide measure for Moai → no change
- moved printer to different places in my flat → no change
- printed multiple objects at the same time → no change
- varied orientation of print → no change
- printed bigger model → no change, maybe worse
- printed known printable gcode (Known working gcode files for the Moai) → same problems
- Oiled Z-axis-rod with 5w30 Oil → no real change
- checked the galvo cover and also printed a test model without the cover → no change
If more information is needed, please ask.