Advanced Glass Plate with PDMS for Moai 200 damaged

Hey there,

So I’ve been printing for a while, and the VAT finally got damaged (way over 20 prints). It’s my first time dealing with this issue, so I removed the resin, cleaned up the VAT with IPA and got to see the problem: the FEP layer on top was broken. So I disassembled everything as instructed in several videos and posts. And when I finally removed the FEP film, I realized the special film on top of the PDMS also got broken. Since it had a hole, I decided to remove the special film to inspect the PDMS layer, and it seems ok.

Some images:

Isn’t the advanced glass suppose to last way longer than the FEP layer on top?
Is this a quality issue or did I receive a defective VAT?
What should I do?
Can I apply a special film on top of the PDMS to get it working again?
What is that special film exactly?
I noticed on another topic someone mentioning that the advanced glass for moai uses a FEP film as the special film, is this correct?
Can I just use an extra FEP film and apply it on top of the PDMS layer?

Thanks

Hi joaoduarte

Just yesterday i ran to the same problem. I had some cured resin pieces in the uncured resin and it had made some holes to the FEP. And when disassembling i noticed the PDMS was defect too.
Since i had no “special film” on hand and needed to get printing again, i thought it wouldn’t do any more harm to remove the “special film” and replace it with FEP, which i happened to have some spares.
The PDMS seems to be quite well “self healing”, after removing the original film the pdms seemed to be just fine.

So i replaced it with FEP (pay close attention to the adhesion, the pdms is sticky. And be careful with any dust or pets hair etc. I had 1 dogs hair on the pdms and it was quite exciting to get it off…)

Anyway, once i got it assembled i ran the leveling pegs to check the leveling and have done 2 prints today, with no problem. So my opinion is that you can use the FEP, no problem.